Possibly Delicate (and funny) question re: my roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by galanie, Sep 28, 2011.

1. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Ok I got this big fluffy butted roo, around 9 lb black orpington, 7 months old. His fluffy butt needs a wash. I plan on giving it a trim also. Now for the crazy question...

Will the stubble be too uncomfortable for the harem? Or will the wash be enough? He's going to have a fit LOL but he really needs to practice better hygiene. I've had to trim hen butts and with one of them, I really need to clip it pretty close. But if I trim him that close... sure seems it would be like mating a cactus. And if I don't, he'll likely just get dirty again, won't he? Or should I just wash him pretty regularly?

I know I'm laughing here but I'm seriously asking. When I got chickens I never imagined I'd be stressing over bathing one's rear. Or even that I would be bathing chicken rears.

(I told my friend what I was doing and she says "You know what?" I go, "what?" She says, "Chicken butt!" and nearly hurts herself laughing. I need better friends.)

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    [​IMG]

"Chicken Butts!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously though, I have no idea. I've never run into this issue but I would LOVE to know the answer. [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I guess in Houston you aren't worried about them getting cold naked butts.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just do it!

5. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:LOL nope, it's 95 again today. I don't think that will be a concern for some time. Our first frost is generally around December 1st or so.

6. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I would think the hen's feathers would protect them from "shaving stubble" ... btw, I just passed coffee through my nose when I read this!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    who knows hens might prefer it trimmed - ask them

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ewwww. What self-respecting hen would squat for a dirty-butt roo? <*shudders*>

Bathe him! See if that works, and if not, clip his filthy feathers!

I have a BR who had real evacuation problems as a chick and grew up without regular tail-feathers. Her butt gets really dirty, too. I've just realized I'm gonna have to bathe her. <*sigh*>

9. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Ok well gryeyes and I are having a butt wash party. Grabbing the Dawn and out I go. *sigh*

Chicken wash! Not our own!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Shaving stubble. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Try plucking some of the feathers around his vent. No need to 'bare butt' him make it a gradual process. This practice is necessary in some heavily feathered breeds/strains that may be unable to make contact otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by