Possibly Egg Bound and Crop impacted.... Pea Green Mucus Poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aaggjg, Aug 20, 2012.

1. aaggjg

aaggjg Songster

Sep 29, 2011
    My year old Ameraucana has not laid in about 4 days.... I brought her in last night and gave her a warm bath and left her inside over night. This morning there was still no egg. I tried feeling her abdomen for an egg but am not exactly sure where exactly to feel.... but I felt around and I don't feel an egg.... I did put a little vaseline on her vent.

When I took her out this morning to inspect her again I noticed that her crop is full .... It is not hard but mushy and feels like it is full of sand.... I have read about impacted / sour crops so I gave her a little bit of olive oil and massaged her crop .... It doesn't look like she pooped much at all over night .... I had to leave her and go to work so I left her inside with water with ACV in it.... Am I right not to give her food???

So I guess my question is can the crop issue make her stop laying??? or is she egg bound and have crop issues??? She did go into the nest box yesterday afternoon and stay in there standing for a good hour or two and nothing..... She doesn't seem to be straining and constantly pushing but her tail does seem to be down .... So I do think she is egg bound .....

This is my first experience with either of these issues so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. aaggjg

aaggjg Songster

Sep 29, 2011
    Okay I had someone go check on her and she is not very happy but finally pooped ... BUT it is pea green and mucusy ...... This can't be good but anybody know what it means???

[​IMG]

3. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Looks like poop to me...LOL

ACV will make sour crop WORSE. Give her baking soda in her water instead. I'm not real sure there is an actual issue here tho. If she isn't acting sick & just hasn't given you an egg in a few days she is probably molting.

4. aaggjg

aaggjg Songster

Sep 29, 2011
    She is just standing around. She didn't come off the roost for food. Turned her nose up at mealworms this morning and is panting. Drank 2 sips of water and that's all. Not her normal self at all. She has barely pooped .... This doesn't seem normal and she just lays down in my lap when I pick her up.

5. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    THAT sounds more like a sick hen. Have your birds been wormed...

6. aaggjg

aaggjg Songster

Sep 29, 2011
    Yes she just finished her 2nd round of worm medicine about a week - 2 weeks ago.....

7. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    OK...probably NOT worms then. Have you checked her for lice & mites...

8. aaggjg

aaggjg Songster

Sep 29, 2011
    I have. I thought there were mites in the coop a few months ago so I cleaned scrubbed and dusted with DE. When I gave her the bath last night I didn't notice any bugs in the water..... She is just laying in the corner of the carry coop crop is still full and mushy.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  9. aaggjg

aaggjg Songster

Sep 29, 2011
    She just pooped a little more liquid green with a tiny string of brown in it. She ate a few bites of yogurt and is now standing in the carrier beak ajar breathing....
    And trying to sleep. I think she wishes that I'd stop priding her. I just don't know what to do. Should I try another warm bath??? I still can't feel and egg in her abdomen. Maybe she's not egg bound just sick ??? Anybody have any ideas???

10. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    If she's sick that will affect egg laying too. Take her food away tonight & if her crop is still full in the morning you will know it's a crop issue. You can try giving her a bunch of water with baking soda in it & then turning her upside down to massage her crop. This will cause her to vomit whatever is in her crop. Make sure you give her breaks on the massaging to let her breathe & be careful when turning her right side up so she doesn't aspirate any food or liquid into her lungs. If she has had access to a lot of long grass she could have an impacted crop/gi22ard. The only treatment for this is to work the clog back up her digestive tract by holding her upside down & massaging her crop & esophagus until everything comes back out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: