Possibly injured day-old chick who was outside alone all night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Becky7, May 3, 2011.

1. Becky7

Becky7 New Egg

Apr 20, 2010
    My parents have bantums and 3 chicks hatched yesterday. Someone thought 1 had died, and put it under their porch last night. My daughter saw it today...it was alive! We brought it home with us because the mom was keeping the other two warm and this one just wouldn't/couldn't stay close. We raised bought baby chicks a year ago, so aren't complete novices. My daughter is holding the chick with the heat lamp above it right now. It seems more content when she holds it. If we put it in the box it moves too much...I don't think it's a temp issue.

We periodically offer it water. It's beak will touch the water and the chick raises its head straight up as if to swallow it. It's bottom looks almost featherless...not sure if that's an injury or not. We aren't sure if the dog had it in its mouth at one time, but there are no external signs of injury.

Anything else we can/should do? do you think it really wants the water? It does calm down more after we give it water, but not sure if it's really choking instead of just calming down. It is chirping periodically.

It seems to have a hard time walking around....almost jerking around and it seems to me like its trying to expend too much energy...but, like I said, is calmer in my daughter's hand.

advice, please!

2. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Feed it some scrambled eggs, if it will eat them, and throw in a duster? They get lonely, so having something to snuggle into might give it some comfort.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

3. Becky7

Becky7 New Egg

Apr 20, 2010
    I've got eggs on to boil now...thanks! It's now doing ok if we put it in its box. It's keeping its eyes open and trying to walk. It tries to balance, but seems to be leaning backwards a lot and doesn't walk...only stumbles...but is looking much happier!

4. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    maybe some pedialyte in the water?

5. Me&Chooks

Me&Chooks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    IOM
    Sugar water will do wonders to help build its strength up!
    And as regards to it hobbling thats pretty normal considering its a day old and been exposed to cold.
    The only thing you can really do is keep it warm, keep it nourished and lots of attention!
    Good luck with your new chick:thumbsup

6. Becky7

Becky7 New Egg

Apr 20, 2010
    Thanks! Hoping it makes it! Now one of its eyes won't open...not sure what's wrong there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by