Possibly Introduced an Illness to my Flock :( what do you guys think

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mkhenderson17, Nov 30, 2010.

1. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Ok so I have two flocks, my bantams and my standards. My one Bantam hen was picked on by an older hen since I got her as a young chick. She is about 5mts, has not layed an egg in forever, normal poop, eating good. Anyways, she started coughing/sneezing and almost wheezing when she breathed, a little lethargic but doing ok otherwise. So i seperated her and started her on Duramycin and she seems to be coming around great.

My standards are another problem. Ok so I had 4 roosters in my coop that were running a muck and terrorizing my hens (all my hens are between 6-7mtsold) , took care of the boys last tuesday. I took them to a local butcher who does strictly chickens. Took a poop sample to the vet said they had coccidia but very mild, they said wait until the roosters are gone and if I am still haveing a problem then go a head and treat them, possibly due to stress. Well I also got some new birds (from 2 different flocks, on the same day) I usually religiously quarrienteen them for a month. Due to a raccoon problem I could not keep them in my quarenten pens safely and i had to put them in with my flock. One of the roosters has the same symptoms as the hen above (he is a year and a half old). two days ago I had my Americana die, no symptoms just she has not laied an egg in forever. Just died. then Yesterday, I had a hen who will not walk. Her leg seems physically fine, she is eating, drinking, going outside, back inside (not gracefully I might add) but she wont walk on her leg. Idk what to do!!

The hen and the rooster that are sick do not have any discharge from their nose. The bantam hen has a swollen eye that is getting better but the rooster does not. My other hens have Diarrhea and I am planning on treating them for coccidia starting tomorrow but Im clueless, they seem fine other wise except the ones I just told you guys about. Any Help would be greatful!! Im praying I didnt unleash any crazy disease on my otherwise healthy flock.

My hens are all between 6-7mts (I bought them as chicks)
    The new additions are 3 Delawares (all under a year old)
    and 3wyandottes (4-6mts)
    and 2 Maryons (1 1/2yrs)

I have them in a coop at night, use sawdust for bedding (I am stripping it tomorrow and working on scrubbing it with a bleach mixture)
    and they get turned out in a large run during the day if they want to go out.

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    WOW, sounds like a few things going on and a lot of stress which is likely a contributer to the respritory flair-ups.

You have one bit of info indicating Cocci, so treating that is a logical step. Trying to reduce flock streess will help no matter what. Some good food and make sure everything is clean, dry, free of drafts and safe from preditors.

As much as possible try to separate them off into groups by symptom and that will allow you to treat and monitor each group individually. If the one respritory issue responded to duramycin then that would be logical treatment for the other comming down with respritory issues. Not sure about treating with duramycin and corid or sulmet at same time. Best check with vet or maybe someone here knows, otherwise mabe treat for cocci first then antibiotics as the cocci can kill but many times respritory issues are more chronic and not as high a mortality.

Maybe go through the 12 questions up top of the forum section with each of the sick to get a clearer idea of what each ones situation is.

Good luck.

3. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks, Today has been uneventful (thank goodness!) Stripped the coop again and started treating everyone with Corid. The rooster and the hen are still in quarantine and seem to be doing great today, still a little raspy so they will stay alone for a few weeks prob.

The hen with the leg issue I think its broke, I found my one dominant hen fighing with another and pushing her from the high perch and I think that could be what happened to the other cuz she has a lot of loss in muscle mass so Idk. Thanks for your help! Ill keep u updated.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] You poor thing-when it rains it pours.
    You said the sneezy rooster and hen are on antibiotics, didn't you?
    Beyond that, it seems like you are handling it OK.
    If anyone else starts showing respiratory symptoms, I would start them on antibiotics as well.
    Good luck to you and your flock!

5. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    Ok so this is for the hen with the possible broken leg. She went ouside today an slid in the sluch (yes we had our first snow here in wonderful Ohio and of course its nuthing but mud under the snow) and When I picked her up I felt a crunch in her leg. So im prety positive its broken. She seems find other wise. She made it into the nest box this morning, shes still laying, eating drinking, going outside. What is your experiences with them? Do they usually heal ok in time? I hate to cull her cuz shes such a nice girl and a great layer. She still stands and hops around on her good leg.

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    If it is a somewhat stable break where bones are held in rough alignment it will likely heal, but she may well have a limp forever. If bones are not aligned or continually get pushed out of place she will likely loose use of the leg and could risk other complications of infections, blood clots ect..

Vet would be best as they can do xrays, but if not, to get it to heal she will need to be kept a relaxed as possible and it maybe possible to splint/brace it too getting the leg in the best anitomical position possible. She will do best out of the main flock in some area designed to minimize how much she moves around and weights the leg. A roo jumping on her back or bully hen giving her a going over could cause further injury. There are arteries near the bones so an unstable break and any rough goes risks internal bleeding.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by