Possibly moving to Lake County

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pigmom, Nov 20, 2014.

1. pigmom

pigmom New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Hey there...I'm trying to find out if Lake County allows pet pigs? Not a livestock pig, but a very small fully grown pet pig, 1 1/2 years old 25lbs that lives indoors. Would I have to live in a agriculturally zoned area, or is it permitted within city limits? I am hoping to move to Mount Dora within a year or so. Thank you.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Don't know the answer, but would think if it is a house pig, then it doesn't matter. Welcome to BYC.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Sorry, I don't know anything about keeping pigs! I advise posting in the Other Pets and Livestock section, for more answers: Other Pets & Livestock

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What state are you referring to? Lake county Illinois, I think is a rural area .

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If he lives indoors, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Call your local town hall and ask. They should know all the zoning laws for your area.

Good luck and I hope you can keep your pig!

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

They implied Mount Dora as the city, so I'm assuming Lake County, FL...

FYI most jurisdictions don't care that you consider it a 'pet pig' or where you house it, swine are generally flat out classified as livestock in most areas and Lake County, FL is no exception...

So you need to be zoned for 'livestock' and also you have to consult the city ordinances that might even further restrict livestock within city limits... From a quick Google search it appears that Mount Dora is very against agricultural even if zoning 'may' allow it as a conditional use...

You of course should follow up calls to the city and county and get verification, but from what I have seen you are likely not going to be able to 'legally' keep the pig there...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. pigmom

pigmom New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Thank you for all your replies. Yes, I was referring to Florida. I am also considering other areas just outside of Mount Dora too. Definately has to be zoned for agricultural. I just assumed if the property has more than one acre, even within the city limits, you would be allowed to have at least one farm animal. I will definitely call the town hall to ask and get confirmation.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by