Possibly moving to Mansfield/Lillian, Texas area & starting over.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Citron_d'uccle, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Citron_d'uccle

Citron_d'uccle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Well as most of you know I lost a majority of my Belgian d'Uccle flock to thieves. So I have been thinking of moving somewhere that is MORE COUNTRY than where we live now.

So, I am thinking of re-establishing when we DO move. I would like to start a flock of production egg layers as well as some broilers. I will also raise and breed more d'Uccle's. I have found a few different breeders who offer the following breeds. Any thoughts or suggestions on these breeds?

EGG LAYERS
    Purebred Dutch Barnevelders
    Purebred French Marans
    Purebred Welsummers
    Purebred Araucanas
    Purebred Ameraucana
    New Hampshire Reds
    Rhode Island Reds
    Buff Orpingtons
    Speckled Sussex
    Golden Laced Wyandottes

MEAT BIRDS/BROILERS
    California Blue Foot
    Poulet de Gaulouse (Bresse Standard of Perfection/ French Label Rouge certified)
    Cobb

Should I be concerned about the Blue Foots and the Poulet de Gaulouse? I know these are RARE breeds but the breeder seems to know his stuff. They said their breeds come from Greenfire Farms stock and the Blue Foots are from Bob Shipley stock. Just don't want to pay for something that's not what I paid for.

2. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    My Barnevelders are kinda fussy. NOT great layers. cool looking eggs. gorgeous birds. Hope mine produce better when they are FULLY MATURED. slow maturing. first egg at 26 or 27 wks.

Welsummers. I have one that lays almost everyday. big egg. my other welsummer is just starting at 28 wks. They are my most friendly birds. very curious. pictures don't do them justice, but not as pretty as barnies.

speckled sussex. havnt had them long. they lay decent sized eggs and at a decent rate. Very friendly. neat looking.

Wyandottes. mine lay like crazy. big eggs. kinda flighty. shy but will eat from your hand. started laying at 20wks. they have earned a spot on my list of permanent layers. easy on the eyes.

now as far as Reds go. I would go Production Reds. They lay eggs like someone has a gun at there backs. BIG EGGS. but they do slow down during winter. but worth it. All the above breeds will lay well in winter.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.

3. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Where in DFW did you find a maran breeder? If you don't mind me asking...

4. Citron_d'uccle

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  5. Citron_d'uccle

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    We should start a thread on where to buy poultry in DFW.

6. Citron_d'uccle

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX

7. Citron_d'uccle

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX

8. Citron_d'uccle

Aug 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
  9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    They all sound very nice. I would definitely go with heritage stock if I were you for longevity of life and protecting the purebreed. And also for tastiness of meat. Some of these are dual purpose breeds.

Araucanas are harder to breed as they will have some mortality in shell.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I love my Wyandottes. Saphire hops on my shoulder for attention and to tell me about her day. The other girls are more aloof , but, will eat outta ur hand. They did not lay so well this summer due to the crazy temps.

Also love my Ameraucanas. I have the Wheaten/Blue Wheaten color. The girls are very pretty and lay teal looking eggs.
    My Silkies are cuddly and are actually keeping up with the other girls in eggs (when their not trying to hatch em).
    The bantam cochins just started laying.

I am not sure who is breeding up near Dallas, but there is a breeder near me that raises Cucko Marans, Salmon Faverolles, and the W/BW Ameraucanas.

My Ameraucanas just started laying and I won't have a breed pen til later this year.

Sad that ypu lost ur babies to a thief. Hope you find ur ideal dream farm spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by