Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
Darby was doing good on Purina One and scrambled eggs.
Hubby decided she's so special, she needs 'Benifull meals' or 'Kibbles and Bits canned meals' instead of her regular food.
Darby was doing good and loving the 'special food'
(still getting offered her regular food w/eggs, but .

The last 2 days, she eats and throws it all back up w/in the hour (and she comes back in and eats a couple of scrambled eggs)

She can't hold down the prepared food Hubby thinks she needs.
Any advice ??
Might this be a symptom of this stage of pregnancy?

what kind of dog? in large breeds it can be a sign of intestinal blockage or twisting. is she throwing up everything she eat or just the can food?

Last edited:
If she had a twisted gut she would not have survived two days without treatment. I'd take her for a check-up ASAP just to be on the safe side, but steer clear of the Kibbles & Bits/Beneful regardless of the problem for nutritional reasons.

Purina One is a far superior food nutritionally to Kibbles and Bits.
Take her to the vet. They can easily ultrasound to verify pregnancy at this stage.

Get her to a vet ASAP. A pregant dog can get a posioning that will kill her and the pups if not treated! My FIL had a dog that got it and they didn't take her in until is was to late. They ended up loosing her and all but 1 puppy, who had to be hand raised.

Thanks!
I switched her back to just Purina and scrambled eggs and she didn't have any problem this morning.
What made her sick was the canned K'nB w/ peas and carrots.
We'll pass on that from now on.
I'm really hoping she's NOT pregnant.
smile.png

Lisa

Make sure that you have her checked ASAP...However, with such a sudden change in foods, that can often trigger the vomiting. Also, it would be best to steer way clear of the Kibbles and Bits and stuff. All that food is is fillers and dye, and hardly offers any good source of nutrition. If you are wanting to feed canned foods, as a supplement, try introducing them rather slowly, and try the holistic stuff. Its what I feed my dogs, and they LOVE it!! Just make sure you wait until all is well though.

I agree, The sudden change in food is more than likely what made her ill. If she is pregnant, her system is going through so many changes and the last thing she needed to have done was have her food changed. At this point, she should be on a premium puppy food so that the pups get more nutrition. Mom needs as much as she can get if she's going to produce enough milk for them.

When you change a dogs food, you have to do it gradually. Mixing the food, with the old food and slowly weening her off. Even a dog who's system is in good shape (re: not pregnant) would have problems with the way you switched her food.
I personally dont buy any dog food you can get in a grocery store......and canned dog food? YUK! You have to be careful you dont make a picky eater out of her by "babying" her....

I hope she feels better soon!

Deb

Back
Top Bottom