Possibly pregnant stray cat

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by animalgirl2010, Mar 25, 2009.

1. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    So about 4 months ago someone dumped off another cat I didnt pay much attention to it as we always have something dumped off. Just another mouth to feed and figured she probably wouldnt stay here long they always seem to wander off. I was wrong and she is still here she went missing for about a week during our terrible ice storm but now she is back. I have been noticing that she has been looking larger I thought it was just from her three complimentary meals a day but now I am thinking she is pregnant. Here is my dilema I can pet her if she is eating but that is the only way I felt under her tummy and can feel that her mammary glands feel like a little full. Is there anyway I can actually tell if she is pregnant and not nursing a litter? If she is still pregnant I plan to bring her in the house and let her have her litter in safety and then get her spayed but am worried if she has a litter somewhere they will die without her. Anyone know how to tell? I can post a picture tommorrow but still dont know if anyone will be able to tell. thanks in advance

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    If she is nursing a litter, the fur around her teats will be matted a bit . Maybe feel again when she is eating and see if you can tell.

3. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Thanks. I felt her and I didnt feel any matts or anything like that she is just a little enlarged. I got a picture of her laying with her best friend. she is the mostly grey one
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and brought her in the house because I think she is still pregnant hopefully she is anyway [​IMG] . She spends most of her time here during the day and if she had kittens somewhere she would spend most time with them wouldnt she? She is sitting and looking out the window I am giving her some time to calm down because she really did not like going in the carrier. hopefully I will be able to make her more tame while she is inside.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    so I just went and checked on her and she is staying in one spot or she is in the same spot as she was the last time i checked on her. I checked to see and she does have milk. Does that mean she has already had them and I should just let her back out?Im worried about her and dont know what to do. I called my vet but he told me she would need an ultrasound but he is new and he doesnt have that equipment.

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty little girl.

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Will she let you manipulate her abdomen a little? Maybe you can feel for kittens?

7. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Can you get close enough to her to actually press(GENTLY) onto her side and feel for movement? If she has milk you should be able to feel them moving. Also check her bottom for any discharge and if at all possible you could check her temp. Normal cat temps are 101-102. When she is ready to have the babies it could drop below 100. When it does she is within 24 hours of delivery.

8. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Yeah she pretty much stays still I think she is little scared but I dont know what to feel for if she is pregnant wouldnt it be pretty soon she had them since she does have milk? I dont know alot about this all my animals are spayed so ive never had to do this before.
    eta: I will try to take her temp I dont know if I have a thermometer I will go look for one.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  9. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    I couldnt find a thermometer anywhere. I will grab one at wal mart tonight and I guess if the temperature is not low I should let her back out because she definitely has milk. She is getting more calm with us and I sat beside her and she rolled on her back and I rubbed her belly I took a picture to show how enlarged she is and I just noticed the fur is missing around her bottom two.
    [​IMG]
    thanks for all the advice

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Good morning!
    Did you figure out if she had babes?

I got to thinking about it last night, and if she'd had kittens outside somewhere she'd be fighting to get back to them. Since she's so calm, I'm wondering if she either:
    a) hasn't had them yet, or
    b) had them and something already 'got' them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by