Possibly sick pullet, could it have gotten too cold?

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
I could use a little advice.

My 4 month old Lavender Orp is acting ill.
Up until this morning she was eating/drinking just fine.

It was very cold out last night and I wonder if this could be the problem. When I opened up the shed to turn their light on this morning round 7am she didn't get up, and was all fluffed up. I picked her up amnd her comb/wattles were very pale and she felt cold.
The silkies were fine amd acting normal and still are.

I immediately brought her into the house and set up a little crate with bedding and a light for her to sit under. She drank some water but seemed un-interested in eating.
I got out my Ver RX , warmed it up and rubbed it on her head, beak nostrils, and under wings and put some in her water. She drank it and her comb pinked ip a bit.

Opal is housed with 2 peeps of the same age she is.
Fed medicated feed, scratch 1X a day when it is cold out as a treat...and gets to free-range in a protected pen on nice days out on my grass.

Fed fruits/veggies and fresh water every day. No moldy food, pen cleaned every 2 days with fresh straw and bedding.
Housed in a draft free shed at night. No supplemental heat.
Never been wormed.

Today her stools seem loose but are pretty normal in color when she last went.
It is about 9 hours later and maybe her comb is a little pinker but she seems lathargic. :(

Should I give her a warm bath? Would that help?

Maybe I should start meds for cocci? I'd hoped medicated feed would cover that problem.

TIA......

She may have been a touch cold but if the Silkie hens were ok she should have been too. There is probably an underlying issue. Have you examined her beyond the comb? Felt her belly for lumps, checked her breast bone to see if she has lost weight? Is her crop full or empty or are here any lumps? Does she have a bad breath issue (sign of sour crop)?

I had a hen that acted perfectly normal until she just refused to move off her perch one morning. She was about a year older than your girl. She had one Big Issue, a tumor, that spawned multiple other issues. She just didn't display any symptoms until she was to weak to put up a show. :/. Young as your girl is I Doubt it's a tumor but more info would be helpful.

She may have been a touch cold but if the Silkie hens were ok she should have been too. There is probably an underlying issue. Have you examined her beyond the comb? Felt her belly for lumps, checked her breast bone to see if she has lost weight? Is her crop full or empty or are here any lumps? Does she have a bad breath issue (sign of sour crop)?
I had a hen that acted perfectly normal until she just refused to move off her perch one morning. She was about a year older than your girl. She had one Big Issue, a tumor, that spawned multiple other issues. She just didn't display any symptoms until she was to weak to put up a show.
hmm.png
. Young as your girl is I Doubt it's a tumor but more info would be helpful.
thank you.
Her crop feels empty....no growths/lumps that I can feel. Clear eyes, no sniffles and no fowl odors.
She is in the same conditipn this morning. Just kinda stands or lies there watchin g activity around her.
Drinking and just won't eat anything.
I am keeping her inside and comfortable and offering any tempting foods I can. She acts like she is interested then just settles down without eating. sigh.........

I don't know then. Not impacted crop or sour crop.
hmm.png
. Not sure what else it could be.
thank you....me either.
roll.png

ive been very lucky so far raising chickens and avoiding illness....and figuring out how to operate on bumblefoot....absesses...... spay leg splints and more......this issue just doesn't indicate clearly what options I need to try. I'll just do more research and see what turns up.

I could use a little advice.

My 4 month old Lavender Orp is acting ill.
Up until this morning she was eating/drinking just fine.

It was very cold out last night and I wonder if this could be the problem. When I opened up the shed to turn their light on this morning round 7am she didn't get up, and was all fluffed up. I picked her up amnd her comb/wattles were very pale and she felt cold.
The silkies were fine amd acting normal and still are.

I immediately brought her into the house and set up a little crate with bedding and a light for her to sit under. She drank some water but seemed un-interested in eating.
I got out my Ver RX , warmed it up and rubbed it on her head, beak nostrils, and under wings and put some in her water. She drank it and her comb pinked ip a bit.

Opal is housed with 2 peeps of the same age she is.
Fed medicated feed, scratch 1X a day when it is cold out as a treat...and gets to free-range in a protected pen on nice days out on my grass.

Fed fruits/veggies and fresh water every day. No moldy food, pen cleaned every 2 days with fresh straw and bedding.
Housed in a draft free shed at night. No supplemental heat.
Never been wormed.

Today her stools seem loose but are pretty normal in color when she last went.
It is about 9 hours later and maybe her comb is a little pinker but she seems lathargic. :(

Should I give her a warm bath? Would that help?

Maybe I should start meds for cocci? I'd hoped medicated feed would cover that problem.

TIA......
The part I made bold sounds like she has mites. Check around her vent. I would dust her with poultry dust. Maybe treat for worms too, have you seen any in her poo?

Back
Top Bottom