Possibly Staph infection?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by supergal, Sep 4, 2016.

1. supergal

supergal New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    I need a little advice from my friends. This is our last surviving baby for both ducks and geese here at the pond. I fount her unable to walk this evening. Parents were not too happy I took her home with me. She has what looks like tumors or infections on her feet and legs. It's too late to bring her to a vet. Any advise would help. I'm not sure where to take her. I hope I can do something to get her through the weekend. If anyone has advise on how to help[​IMG]

. Thanks so much!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wish I knew something to suggest. I would say to post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures ," thread but I think any response would be too late in coming. Do you have any emergency vets that are open late? I have never seen anything like that.

3. supergal

supergal New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Thanks so much. I found one that opens in 7 hours. I hope she can hold on until then. Much appreciated!!!

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like some severe bumblefoot... which just means she either got a thorn, splinter, or something similar stuck in her foot or a wound and is now infected... vet is best for sure, at that stage she might need some antibiotics...

Until then, if you have epsom salts, soak her feet in warm epsom salt water... when those spots are soft, see if you can get the black scabs off... infection will be a hard whitish or yellowish core inside... remove as much as possible and it will most likely bleed... clear iodine is best to apply when done and wrap it in a clean bandage...

Hope this helps!

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC. It's great to have you!

You've had some good advice above.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, super gal, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community. Hope your duck's foot is okay!

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Hello, so sorry about your baby duck's problem. Looks like a serious infection - hope the vet will be able to help her.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by