1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possibly taking dog on trip, any advice?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickenToes, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My husband and I are thinking about taking our dog (17 month old Bloodhound) with us when we go out West to visit my parents. It's a 1500 mile trip, split into 2 days. The first day is 14 hours, with a stay at a hotel that night. The next day is about 8 hours. The dog does just fine in a car, as long as she can lay down in the back.

I have already found pet friendly hotels, and there are rest areas where we can walk her along our route.

Are we completely insane for even thinking about this, or not? Does anyone have experience taking dogs on trips? We do have people that will watch her if we decide not to take her.

Any advice/experience is much appreciated.

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Nah, we have taken trips all over the US with our dogs. Just make sure they drink enough water and take potty breaks.

Bring a crate and a couple of changes of bedding in case of an accident. Be aware she may be more prone to an accident since her schedule has been disrupted, so I always bring enzyme odor eater and paper towels just in case. Cloth towels in case a bath or rinse is needed, kibble, their personal bowl, and a large leak proof container of home water so they won't refuse to drink different water. You can add new water to the old water until she gets used to it.

The 3 times we went somewhere we couldn't take our dogs we missed them so much we were stopping people in the street and molesting their dogs!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    LOL, that does make me feel a bit better. That's the biggest reason we want to take her with us, we'll miss her/worry about her too much if we leave her behind.

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    no not at all I moved from texas with 2 dogs a cat and 7 other kids. alomg with my mom.

5. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I take my GSDs when I travel, 14+ hour drive back to Wis. from Maryland.

I pack paper towels, old bath towels, and a 2-liter bottle of water with some dish soap added for cleanups, just in case.

Feed more often, but a lot less food at a time, cuts down on car sickness.

Bring a spare leash, and keep it up front in a place where it won't get misplaced; you might need to grab it in an emergency.

Make sure your dog's tags are secure, so if your dog goes missing in an unfamiliar place, someone can get your dog back to you.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think it will be fun! Good luck! And take pics! [​IMG]

7. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    We take our dogs everywhere with us - even though the Golden Retriever gets car sick at the onset of the ride. Other than that, they seem to enjoy it as long as we take periodic potty breaks, have water with us for them to drink when we stop and don't miss their mealtimes! Good luck and have fun!

PS - Our dogs always have their ID tags on their collars and on trips, we use a harness instead of just collar and leash as an added precaution so they can't slip the collar at rest areas.

8. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I've driven to CA. from WI. and back again TWICE with 2 dogs and 1 cat (once with 2 cats as well as the 2 dogs) with no problems. Gives an incentive to stop and enjoy some scenery while letting the dog out!

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    You might consider too getting that ID implant thingie. That way if he slips collar and tags he might still find his way back to you. I think most rescues and Humane Societies scan them now.

Have fun! My two love car trips and it is more fun for me to have a happy doggie snoring from the passenger seat. [​IMG]

10. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Brindlebtch pretty much said it all. Just remember if you stop to eat--windows down in the car low enough for air, high enough so your dog cannot escape. EVEN when it's cold out your car can get pretty hot during the day in the sun. Enjoy the trip! I know your dog will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by