Possibly the meanest silkie baby?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by undine, Aug 19, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    This silkie baby is ruthless...she is about 2-3 smaller than her brooder buddy(an easter egger), but both the same few days old. She HATES sharing. Whenever its yogurt time, and theyre all eating peacefully she'll see her friend eating too and she'll get rlly mad. She'll start pecking the other chicken in the eye, and around the face. Nooo, not because the other chicken has food on her face. SHe just gets realllly mean. So i try separating her for a short while so she can eat yogurt alone. So after shes done and the other chicken is just laying there trying to sleep, i put her back with the chicken and she runs towards the sleepy chick and attacks her. Is this fine?? Im starting to worry that she might grow up being extremely aggressive..

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It could be a little roo. Roos can be especially aggressive. I haven't raised a Silkie from a chick so I am terrible at sexing them, so I can't help you there.

However I've raised a lot of chickens, and I own a Silkie I purchased as an adult.

Is yours too aggressive? Without watching it personally, I can't tell you for certain.

I can explain though that chickens compete and will pick and peck on each other especially if there is special food out. If I want some harmless amusement I'll throw out a french bread roll into the flock and one picks it up and the rest run and try to catch it. I call it chicken football as one hen drops it, another picks it up and runs, then another steals it away again. That's normal.

I've seen them hassle each other to roost and for general space area; that's normal too.

When it is not good is when there is an imbalance of size or power and one bird gets "hen pecked" to where it can't eat/drink or is bloodied or is over-stressed.

If this appears to be getting out of hand where the Silkie is always on the attack, you will have to keep them separate.

Generally in time, this works itself out as the pecking order is established, ie. your EE gets bigger than the Silkie, unless the EE is a banty too, or they simply learn to co-exist. If not, then you'll have to decide if you can separate out the aggressive one permanently. If the bird is so aggressive that it no longer is useful for your purposes, you may need to re-home it, or have soup, depending upon your preferences.

Silkies are generally supposed to be good natured chickens...however mine is Ms. Grumpy...she pecks at everything that comes her way. However, she is so small none of my others birds who are standard size give her any notice and she is on the bottom of the pecking order so she causes no harm to anyone. She doesn't peck me hard, or if she gets snotty, I just lift her up with one hand, so I don't give her notice either. I keep her because she is an excellent brooder and mother...She does a great job of protecting little chicks she broods, so Ms. Grumpy is useful to me.

HTH
    Lady of McCamley

3. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Yes,It could be a Roo.When she(or he!) is a bit older you could post a picture and we could try to help you sex it.

4. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Gah..signs of roo can be shown that early? LOL T_T (S)he was supposed to be a pullet, and shes almost reaching a week old. This pains me lmao

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by