1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

'possoms

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by duck walk, Nov 5, 2009.

1. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    holy moly...I just made a round to check my girls before going to bed and have a 'possom in one of the two traps...this is the fifth one in two weeks...we have put in more security and sealed holes and pounded up tin and sunk wire and set two traps after losing sixteen birds to predators in a very short period...the first four 'possoms were boys, one very large...I don't know what this one is...it is going to sit in that trap until daylight comes around...they are just big rats and I don't like them very much...my chickens have quit laying and are scared...some of the murders took place in the coop at night...Walter was attacked and lost a lot of feathers from the back of his neck and his beautiful tail feathers...I have a young pullet with a damaged wing...Mattie's feathers were every where the morning after she was taken...she was the one I did surgery on to amputate a broken wing after a dog attack...she was laying every day and we loved her for her spunk and will to live...that ugly thing, whatever it was, just walked in in the dead of night and snatched her off the roost...grrrrrr...done ranting...everyone in the coop is sleeping pretty peacefully tonight...they have not been attacked in several nights now and are settling down...I check on them at least twice a night...poor girls...and Walter...he fought off whatever it was, probably one of those rat tailed 'possoms...I hope his tail feathers come back...they were very nice...

Walter and his girls on a good day under the peach tree
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    the only good possum is a dead one

3. TeriNick50

TeriNick50 Out Of The Brooder

How did the predator get INSIDE your coop?

BTW, great picture of your flock!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    they got in three different places we have since secured...once through the rafters they found a loose spot of wire, once on a back corner where a board had come loose and once by the main door...now that we have sealed everything up, they are hitting the traps...got five of the buggers in like two weeks...but they had a field day until we found the holes and bought the traps...I know there is a raccoon probing the area trying for a free dinner...I have a charger coming and we are going to hot wire:he that thing up and cook them...I am tired of losing my girls...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by