Possum Attack - Ripped Comb, Trouble Breathing, Bloody Drool, Clear Goopy-Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OkieCampbellCla, Nov 24, 2016.

1. OkieCampbellCla

OkieCampbellCla New Egg

Nov 24, 2016
    [​IMG]My friend heard my chickens scream, and I ran outside to find them scattered about my yard... all have been accounted for and no injuries, except this one.. Ginger. She is a Bovan Brown, 2 years old. Her comb was half ripped off, her left eye bloody (when I opened her lids the actual eye looks ok, but it is swollen with blood), heavy breathing, through the mouth, clear drool - and bloody drool... moist-clear-goopy eyes... nostrils appear to be semi-clogged with dirt and blood.

I cleaned her comb with peroxide, soap and water... her eyes with warm water... let it all dry. I tried applying super glue to the comb so it would hopefully heal and reattach completely... gave her some "pedialyte" (homemade concoction... real maple syrup, water, and poly-vi-sol) but she had a hard time taking it, she coughed some of it up, so I backed off...

She is isolated in our dog kennel in the house, with towels under her and one on top, and water if she wakes up and finds herself thirsty!

My girls have never been attacked... and I am unsure of why her drool is bloody... is this normal? Could she have internal injuries??? I do not see anywhere else on her that wounds exist...

Please help!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

What attacked her? A dog would squeeze, so she may not have any external puncture wounds, but possibly some internal injuries.

You did what is best. Separate her in a quiet place, she is most likely in shock. The comb and eye will most likely heal just fine barring any infection.

The bloody drool and nostrils are more concerning. Leave her with some water and see if she will drink later on. Dehydration is something to watch for, but if she is not able to take the water, then backing off was the right thing to do. Bloody drool could be from internal injury or when she is more alert and out of shock, check inside her beak, it's possible she may have just a cut inside (let's hope).

When she has calmed, you can apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the comb. If the eye is still goopy, then if you can use saline to flush it, that would be best (there are some "homemade" recipes I'm sure you can find online (boiling water with salt-let cool, etc.). For the eye, you can use plain neosporin in a pinch, but if you have a feed store that has Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment that would be better.

Supergluing was fine. Most of the time a comb will heal nicely, but I'm sure this will help it along.

Don't worry about pushing food right now she will be o.k. for the night and morning without it. Water is more important, but don't force her. If she comes around and you feel like she will eat, offer her normal feed (wet) or give her a hard boiled egg.

Hopefully she will come out of it fine. Just keep her quiet. Let us know how she's doing.

1 person likes this.
  3. OkieCampbellCla

OkieCampbellCla New Egg

Nov 24, 2016
    I am pretty sure it was a possum. As I was gathering the other hens, one of our bushes moved. I went to kick the bush a bit and flush out our unaccounted for hen - when a possum jumped out. I don't see any other wounds on her... The drool was clear at first, but when I went to take the picture - she had a long line of bloody drool out of her mouth and seemed to have labored breathing... She is resting in the dog kennel, inside, with towels below her and one on top. I will check on her in the morning and let you know... Thank you for your response/reply!!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    poor baby, I hope she will fully recover. Chickens can exhibit great recuperative powers. If she has any puncture wounds check often for signs of infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by