Possum attack

nursekathleen

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Portland, oregon
My favorite chicken, Maxine, was attacked by a possum. I was too late closing the coop, and I caught a possum and attacking her. She was almost dead. But we brought her in the house and cleaned her up and I stayed up with her all night long and she seemed a little better. Her breathing less labored. But she wasn’t eating or drinking so we took her to the vet. She was treated and cleaned up and we have antibiotics and pain meds but she is still not eating and drinking and I’m having to give her syringes of water with electrolytes and I got her to take 1/4 of a grape today and that’s all. She is breathing ok but when I gave her a little more water she is now shaking her head from side to side and walking backwards. She can walk forward though too. I know possums will grab chickens by the neck and try to kill them by strangling them. has anyone else experienced this? And had a chicken survive? Thank you so much for your help I really love this girl

When I had a hen with impacted crop that wasn't drinking enough water to loosen it up. I made a very wet mash with chicken feed and she started to drink/eat the Mash and I was able to loosen up the impacted crop with massage over a couple of days.
Point being is she got water and nutritious feed into her.
I wouldn't massage your hens crop if there's possible injury. Just a way to get feed and water into her. GC

Sorry to hear, opposums are a real problem here as well.
Are her eyes okay? Can she see what you're giving her?
Have you tried different foods, like corn or scratch grains? I've noticed that when severely injured, they may not eat their normal foods. Sometimes a snack that they're not used to is what it takes to get them eating again.
Have any nutri drench? That stuff works wonders.

Sorry to hear, opposums are a real problem here as well.
Are her eyes okay? Can she see what you're giving her?
Have you tried different foods, like corn or scratch grains? I've noticed that when severely injured, they may not eat their normal foods. Sometimes a snack that they're not used to is what it takes to get them eating again.
Have any nutri drench? That stuff works wonders.

Thanks for the advice. Yes. Her eyes are ok. She looks at us. But she shakes her head away at offers of food or water. I brought fresh tiny earthworms from the garden but she wouldn’t eat them but at least she looked at them. I will look for nutri drench. I am giving her a molasses saltyish water. But she just isn’t interested in anything. The bathroom is covered with dried grubs dead worms her usual natural feed with grains I’ve tried feeding her chicken, wet cat food and she’s just not interested. Hopefully she’ll start to improve

Back
Top Bottom