Possum close by

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn

Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    East Central FL
    This afternoon, we were looking out our homeschool classroom and saw a young possum stick his head out from under some decking. I think he's the one that dug a small hole on the other end a couple nights ago. I'm guessing that he's taken up residence here. The only problems is that it's about 60 ft from my coop/run.

The good news is that my 3 hens are completely enclosed. The bad news is that it is only 1" hexagon mesh. (sorry, I can't remember the gauge wire)

Can a possum get through that? What's the best way to catch a possum w/o a gun? We're in a residential area where guns are not permitted to be fired. I know, I know...... how will they know a gun from a firework, but I want to do this legally. [​IMG]

TIA

2. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    havahart live trap baited with cat food. WOrks well here.

3. Mattake2

Mattake2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Not likely that an opossum is going to get in your coop with your wire. Do you have anything around the base (ground) that your wire is secured to?

If you're ABSOLUTELY sure that you don't want to shoot it, I'd get a live trap & bait it with some bacon or a dead fish.

4. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    i catch possoms all the time in my live trap. i use the cheapest and most nasty sounding canned cat food i can find. make sure to use canned the stink draws them better. good luck and be careful of those hypodermic needle like teeth.

5. Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn

Mar 26, 2008
    East Central FL
    Quote:This might sound silly but where do I get a live trap from? Do you buy or rent them? Sounds like you own one but I'd rather rent or borrow if possible.

6. firem3

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    most feed supply stores have them, also tractor supply and too many to count websites for them

7. firem3

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    what are you going to do with it when you catch it?

8. Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn

Mar 26, 2008
    East Central FL
    Quote:Make soul food.

<just kidding>

I may release him up the road closer to the woods around a small airport.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    As long as your coop & run are predator proof, you should be ok.

Possums look for the easiest meal possible.

If I notice one is coming around I put out dry cat food for them, they eat it and leave the chickens alone.

Sometimes I sneak up on them and catch them bare handed, scares the heck out of them to know there is a bigger "predator" here, they usually run for the woods when I release them and don't come back.

[​IMG]

10. Mrs. Foghorn Leghorn

Mar 26, 2008
    East Central FL
    Quote:Yowzers!!! I'm not that brave when it comes to animals I don't know well. I'd say our guy is smaller than the one in your top left picture. He's little but he won't be for long. I just hope Mama and siblings aren't here too.

My neighbor does tend to keep cat food out for the strays (hence, our completely covered run).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by