Possum in the coop in broad daylight!

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
Well, I went out to the coop around 2:30 this afternoon to collect eggs again and there in the second nest box was a possum eating an egg!
ep.gif
In the next box were two hens huddled together and the one hen who usually occupies the first nesting box was hiding behind a garbage can I use for feed
hide.gif
All the rest of the flock just followed me into the coop...no one else seemed afraid of the intruder
idunno.gif
I turned and ran for my gun, came back and interrupted it's meal of eggs. I was very surprised to see one out in mid-day. Dh said it was probably just hungry, sorry, but that doesn't permit one to jeopardized my coop. My hens were all free ranging since we have had decent weather and the snow is melting very quickly. they were just glad to be out of the coop! So all ended well for the poultry at least!

I see 'possums in the daytime fairly often as it gets colder.
When I'm deer hunting you can hear them coming from a long ways off. Sounds like a klutzy deer coming through the leaves.

I caught one in my coop last month right after dark. It was a big one and it killed one hen and had maimed two others before I grabbed it and smacked with my maglite.
sad.png

ozark hen during the winter you will see noctural predators out during daylight hours. Glad you got rid of it, I would have too!

Glad you took care of that varmint!
Yesterday a possum was strolling by, checking out my chicken yard about 4 in the afternoon. I had just gone in the house, fortunately my brother and my fiance' were still outside...
Possums have recently become public enemy #1 around here.

I have dispatched one with my walking stick but I wouldn't use a good flashlight. LOL Especially a short handled one. LOL

Ozark hen, you need to get yourself a 3 d cell maglite. (or 4 d cell)

Like MandyH wrote, they're more than flashlights, they're darn effective weapons.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom