possum in the coop!

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
I waited too long to go lock up the chickens!! I was busy watching ti.v. and waited until 8 o'clock and never should have waited that long.
When I got to the coop there was a racket going on and chickens starting to flee the coop, I ran around to the main door and there was a possum in there and one chick dying on the floor. I threw a heavy steel half door at the possum and was screaming for my dh the whole time. My dh ran out the same time the possum ran out of the coop and my dh picked up a metal fence post and hit it over the head but it still got away. I will be sitting out there with the .22 waiting for it to come back! I feel so badly for my poor chickens. It took awhile to round up the other chickens who had fled the coop and then I pet each one in the coop trying to settle them all down. Poor things, it was all my fault. I will never let it happen again. Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!! Predators come out at dusk!!! Let what happened to me teach everyone a lesson, please!
hit.gif

I thought this was gonna be a how could anyone hurt a possum they are so cute thread, good luck with the 22 rehome that possum about a foot down in a dark hole.

oh my - how awful! I am so sorry, but I am sure your flock doesn't blame you and really, it wasn't your fault. You obviously love your birds and take the responsibility of their care seriously. We can't always save them - predators are sneaky and persistent. But I think we are doing just fine as long as we give them a loving home and try to keep them safe and happy.
hugs.gif

everyone is shook up right now but they will be fine because their owner...ME...will be more responsible putting them up for the night. Just as a warning...if anyone gets on here and starts boo hooing for the possum and making an arguement out of this thread, I will delete it.

We all make mistakes, including the poor possum looking for an easy meal. I'm so sorry for your loss ozark hen. Don't be so hard on yourself. Sit up tonight and take her out. I have always thought possums were cute, even when they ate my keets. Cute possum + dead chicks or keets = bye-bye possum. Trapping when possible and relocating has always been my prefered method of dealing with them, but these are your birds and your method. Even us possum lovers and boo-hoo'ers cannot begrudge you on that. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom