possum in the silkie house

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mhaines4102, Mar 22, 2009.

1. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    I heard the silkies making noise about 15 minutes ago, I go outside and they are freaking out. Then as I approach I see a possum's ugly snout sticking out of the house door. I grabbed a square nose shovel, trapped his head on the ground for a while, picked him up with the shovel, threw him in the yard and brained him. If I could have, I would have brought him back, and brained him again. All silkies are accounted for, I found him before he could kill them, but there are feathers everywhere. stupid possum. I think I'll go hit him again.

I just thank the Lord I was up. I almost went to bed about 30 minutes ago.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    go get him one more time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Good for you! I beat on one the other day for awhile and he still ran off. [​IMG] My son was angry with me for letting it get away.

4. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice to hear about the occasion when someone wins one against the predators. Good tip about keeping a metal shovel handy. I've had a square metal shovel and an ice scraper just out the door all winter, but maybe I should continue that practice into the summer.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

At least you only had one.... I woke up one morning to THREE, yes THREE babies in the Silkie pen.

6. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    Hammer down on that sucker!

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My brother's dog went after a possum once and dragged the carcass up to the house. My brother didn't want it rotting in the yard so he decided to bury it. He dug the hole and picked up the possum to put in the grave, and the thing came back to life and started climbing up the shovel handle! Despite the beating the dog had given it, he was just playing possum and wasn't quite ready to be buried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by