possum last night, help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wilsonmago, Oct 6, 2011.

1. wilsonmago

wilsonmago Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    My chicken coop uses two inch wire for run and there are small opens to the door of chicken's bedroom. Last night, I heard my chickens scream. I ran to the coop and find a possum inside the "bedroom". it is about 20% bigger than an adult squirrel. I chased away him. The problem is that with its size, it can squease itself into my chicken coop any time. I am deeply worried and don't know what to do. Is there some non-chemical spray, or traps I can do?

Please help!

Thanks!

wilson

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Just shoot those possums.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It would take a lot of work but get different wire! I dont think you would want to do that so you could shoot it, trap it in a trap, or hope that he doesn't come back.[​IMG]

4. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    He will be back. you have to maybe put more wire around existing wire to get the openings smaller and seal up any other area that is large enough for it to get through. Nail wood or wire or whatever you have to do to protect your birds.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Get a trap as well and set it 24/7

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Just eliminating that possum won't keep your chickens safe...consider this an early warning, you have to make your coop predator proof, since even the nicest neighborhoods have predators,,,this possum has friends too, then there are coons, rats, snakes, dogs, cats, coyotes...all living comfortably in suburbia...Hope you get that coop fortified. You can try moth balls but that won't stop a hungry critter

7. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
  8. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    I was catching a possum a week for several weeks and an odd raccoon. The nitegard product pretty much stopped it all.

9. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    I had one of those pests at our place not to long ago.I set a trap with an egg in it and caught it that very night.We since have since purchased a pellet gun for such encounters.Really they wont stop unless you stop them

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Your chickens are not safe unless you predator proof their pen. Use hardware cloth. Even with traps set you cannot guarantee they will go in the trap and not in an unprotected pen. Unless you want to sit up at night and watch for them, shooting is not very effective at protecting them.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by