1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possum Update

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sammy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Hi i posted earlier about a possum in our hen house-well it is out but now there is a possum (same one maybe) wandering around our yard every day eating - i'll just say "stuff" and it will not go into the trap we set for it

Husband may have to shoot it

(my chickens are being housed in the garage for now - i only have 2-until we can chickenwire the top of the coop - may do it tomorrow)

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Trap trick...

Use dry dog food in the trap. Make a little trail leading into the trap, then pour some onto the shelf or panel that they need to step on to trip the door. You might toss some marshmallows or fruit in there too.

Also cover the trap with a tarp or some straw. Many pests are wary of a bare trap, but think that a covered trap is a cave or hole that another animal stashed an unfinished meal in.

Using this method, I trapped two coons and one possum in three days. http://www.countrychickens.com/country_chickens_4_006.htm

Kathy
    in Texas

3. sammy

Jul 8, 2008
    thanks kathy! we tried dry dog food and a few eggs as well

the possum is in the trap now (woohoo!)

what did the trick?

it is pretty gross-but it is "his" favorite snack i didnt mention before...

dog poop!
    [​IMG]

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oh, ew! [​IMG] Glad you caught the possum, though!

5. sammy

Jul 8, 2008
    Quote:ya it was really barfworthy! i saw it do it once then couldnt look anymore

gah ROSS!

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    just shoot him, you will be better off.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Hmm.... I think my puppy is grosser.... My aussie is about 3 1/2 months old. He was all excited because he kept finding these neat chewy things in a plastic box. They were so good he would bring them out to eat them in front of us. I finally had to get a plastic top for the cat litter box and turn the opening towards the wall to keep the puppy from eating the cat poo. My puppy doesn't discriminate though... she's been seen eating some of her own poo in the front yard [​IMG]

I really like my puppy... and I've heard (repeatedly) that dogs mouths are 'cleaner than humans' ... but between the poo and licking in err other areas... I will not let her lick me ... no way!

Bullwinkle

P.S. I took her to the Vet the other day for a check up/shots, etc. One of the vet techs who loves dogs (apparently) let my puppy lick her for at least 30 seconds ALL OVER her face. I figured that she knows enough about dogs to know the things they lick/eat... so I didn't say anything...

8. sammy

Jul 8, 2008
    Quote:Hmm.... I think my puppy is grosser.... My aussie is about 3 1/2 months old. He was all excited because he kept finding these neat chewy things in a plastic box. They were so good he would bring them out to eat them in front of us.

my old dog (18yrs old) did the same for awhile-try to feed her more and cover the cat box

i think it is normal tho [​IMG]

9. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    here is how we trap possum...the first time it was a total accident, but after that we knew how to trap em.

Take a trash can - if a baby possum, a 5 gal bucket works - lean a board up against it. Fill 1/3 with water, add something food like to the water. Wait for a week - go out and find possum dead or alive at the bottom of the can or bucket. Decide - release or SSS.

The inital S is not permitted here so we relocated to a very remote location - may the best animal win.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They like cat food too...that is a good bait. Works for skunks really well also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by