1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Suri, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Suri

Suri Out Of The Brooder

I just shoveled a possum that attacked my old layer. She cried so loudly... and when I saw her, I thought she was dead, so I hit the possum with a stick that did not make him budge. Eventually, I took a long spade and hit him hard.. still he did not budge.. when I left to pick something, I heard my layer screamed again.. she still alive.. strong old girl! I caught her and put her at another site.. *I don't own a gun or anything like that except for BB gun* Then, I proceeded to smack that possum.. Now, I realized it's very difficult to really kill a possum.. Finally, he climbed out of the chicken run hurting as I smacked his head with the spade or shovel... Anyway, I heard that ammonia can deter the possum.. Is this true? Has anyone try this before? I put a few bottles of ammonia around the chicken house, and the house is under lock-down now..

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    guess he was playing possum? hahhaha what an exciting night. hope your hen gets ok

3. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Try dealing with fox or a coyote attack and see how that goes... Possums are lazy so it must of been an easy way in on your part..

4. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Some people love to spread sunshine, don't they? lol

I hope your hen recovers. I'd get a gun if at all possible. In fact I wouldn't be without a gun or two or three or four... LOL You could trap the possum(s) with a live trap and do something with it.

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    now that was a very polite way to say it.hahaha on another note, i throw trap and all in water. i tried shooting w/ bb gun but that was torture.

6. Suri

Suri Out Of The Brooder

She's in the house ... The possum tore-up her part of her wing side but not that deep yet, and her butt feathers were tore-up too.. So I watered her down in the wintery rain to get rid of the bloody feathers... she screamed in pain and in cold.. she's inside now in the box.. I put meds on the wound and keep her warm with lights.. she's resting.. Actually, she just healed from another attacked from a stray dog or something... and this is her 2nd time... I do hope she make it .. coz she pooped a lot tonight.. :)

7. Suri

Suri Out Of The Brooder

well, I didn't close the chicken house door for a year and there wasn't any problem until tonight.. But I was curious how my chicken eggs gone missing when I forgot to pick them up from the nest.. Now, I know the culprit.. I've to lock it down at night from now on..

8. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Yeah, got to be polite and all that. LOL Some folks are just socially ...backward. LOL

I have heard of people drowning critters like that. I don't believe I could do that unless I had to. I figure a bullet to the head is quicker. And I would be eating the coons. Possum... I might try it one time. I have heard they are really greasy. You'd need to put one up for a bit and feed it to clean it out. At least I would before I'd want to chow down on it! LOL

9. Back Yard Bean

Back Yard Bean New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    I'm surprised you were able to make it a whole year without having to close them up! Despite being in an urban area, we have caught quite a few possums and raccoons in a live trap. My husband, who disposes of them, usually uses a .22 revolver. They don't make much noise and seem more humane than some of the other options. I've heard their brains and nervous systems are small, so they don't respond to what would seem like normal pain threshold...

In any event, I hope your chickeepoo is OK! :)

10. Suri

Suri Out Of The Brooder

Thank you BackYardBean... I reckon I might have chicken feed leftovers, and lately, I put out food for stray cats.. so probably that might be the problem.. am not sure.. but am going to eliminate that.. I wish I've the heart to shoot the possum though my friend taught me how to shoot but I don't have the heart to do it.. but I can work with shovel and pitch fork.. *lol*.. Anyway, this hen is an old hen almost 3 years old! She egg-out already .. I just like to have her around coz she seems to have a strong spirit and friendly ones amongst the others.. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by