possumes and roosters

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by autumn11, Jan 3, 2013.

1. autumn11

autumn11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    I have a possume getting in my coop it has not killed my chickens yet but it scares them . my roosters will not attack it why won't he attack it he goes after my dad and garage doors so why won't he go after the possume.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Is it after dark? Chickens get pretty dormant after dark. I wouldn't trust him in the coop either - the good news is that if you have adult birds, he may be more interested in the eggs. Got a live trap? Cat food and a live trap are magic on possums!

3. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Possum are pretty dosile in nature they want eggs not a fight, they are easy to deal with because they only come out at night, so find out where he gets in at and block it off. Your real problem is that if a possum is getting in next it will be a racoon and they will kill the chickens. So find out how it is getting in block it off. Trapping is not going to solve the problem simply because you will still have a way for something else to get in. Consider the possum as a warning and be thankful you have been alerted to your pens breach.

4. autumn11

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    the possume comes around 2am they are all adults i can't find any eggs lately. las night the possume went after my white hen she cant do any thing whithout getting attacked. we have killed 2 possums and let one go fare away

5. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Your rooster will not fight at nighttime only when they can see clearly. Also they tend to push buttons that they know what the reactions will be ( something familiar ) . Their real job is to alert the flock and you to danger not fight it off, they don't stand a chance against a nightime predator. I don't consider a possum a predator just an opportunist. Forgive my spelling ...

6. autumn11

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    ok fix the way the possume is getting in and i shoudent have any more problems. thank you

7. mairead

mairead Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Redwood, NY
    i have had an issue with opposums too this year. they get into my coop and sit underneath the heat lamp and eat leftover grain...i was surprised they haven't killed any chickens. i have been trapping them but they have a nest underneath a barn on our property...its never ending...if i have to kill them i will if they attack or try hurting my birds. And my coop also needs work which we hope to have done soon.

8. autumn11

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    i have to work on my coop to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by