Post Broody Hen

Rouxmama

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
We are having trouble with our post broody hen. She is now molting and tends to shy away from the rest of the flock. Today we seen one of the other chickens attacking her and the rooster also chased her away. I'm not sure what we can do to try and discourage this behavior. She seems scared of all of them, comes out of the coop last when let out to forage and has also been trying to roost in other places. We feel like they are all being mean to her. Any suggestions?

How did she stop being broody? Did she hatch chicks or just stop? Was she away from the flock while she was broody? Sometimes when a broody comes back to the flock she has a tough time reintegrating and often loses her spot on the pecking order.

We finally forced her to stop after over three months of broodiness. The first few months she had no eggs under her. We got a rooster and I'm afraid we put eggs under her too early because they did not hatch. We didn't wait the full few weeks like we should have after getting a rooster:(. But it's a lesson learned on this new journey we are beginning! Her comb was beginning to shrink a lot and we thought it would be best if she come down to start getting better nutrition. She's gone through a big change and the pecking order probably has a lot to do with it:)

hey! I new to byc and I love it! I've learnt so much about my babys! I have three leghorns three golden appanzeller chicks and I fully grown silkie roo called colnel clukkerbuff or cluckky for short! Anyhooo... do u know how to make a hen go broody? I really want some more leghorn chicks! Ty.

You can not force a hen to go broody. But if you have a chicken that does, you could put the chicks of your choice or the eggs of your choice and she will hatch them and take care of them

OK... here is my post.
yesss.gif

If she is ousted then she is at the lower pecking order. She will move up the order when she gains confidence.
D.gif

Ty chickenflock! All I need now is a broody hen. Which breed of chicken gets broodier the most? Will it help if I get an oder roo?

Here is a picture of our american game. I would suggest getting american game hens to hatch your eggs. Ours went broody about 3 times in only one laying season! You could probably find them at your local poultry/livestock auction.

My second choice would be silkies. I do not have any, but forums on here suggest that silkies go broody pretty easy too.And i think your roo would be just fine if it is able to reproduce.

Last edited:
I love your american game! She is sooo pretty! Wow, three times in one season! I'll probably get a silkie and a gme hen. My chicken mad palbhas to sell her chickens because according to her hubby she has too many ( is 29 really that many when your land is the size of a footie pitch? ) and she is getting rid of 2 silkie hens! Its arriving today! As are some fertile leghorn and golden appqnzeller eggs (10 of each)!
Can't wait! Yah my roo is fine reproducing itsbjust that wheb ever he tries my hen pcks him! Poor boy.

Back
Top Bottom