1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Post butchering processes?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LaurelC, Jan 26, 2014.

1. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    I took a class yesterday on processing poultry where we slaughtered, scalded, plucked, and eviscerated the birds. The instructor then told us to soak in a 3% salted icewater solution. Seems legit, as she sells her birds. I've dry brined chickens and turkeys before (basically just rubbing with kosher salt and sitting around in the fridge) and they've been great. Would this be an effective time to dry brine vs wet brine the birds? What do you do with your chickens to cool/age them?

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I use ice water,. I don't know what the salt would do for you? In the store when see "packed in solution" I know I am paying for "flavoring"
    My $.02

3. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA

The 3% solution apparently matches the chemistry of the body, so it reduces the cellular exchange.

4. Gib241

Gib241 New Egg

Jan 24, 2014
    We keep ours on ice for three days draining the water each day. I was told it helps tenderize them. I have never used salt, but your answer makes sense and perhaps will try next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by