Post Crop Surgery poos

ernie85017

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2012
Hi, I need the experts help. One of the BYC members helped me a year ago when Lily lost her eye. One-Eyed-Lily is fine today. Great people here!

Maxine (she and her sisters are named after the Andrews Sisters) had crop surgery on Tuesday afternoon. By me. I am amazed I did it. She was impacted with grass and undigested food. What a smell. Yeech

It went well and she was a great patient. The only protest she made was trying to get her head out from under the towel a few times when I caused her pain. By the way, I did this alone, that's how good a patient she was. Tightly wrapped in a towel.

She had Poultry Drench, antibiotics and a bit of aspirin afterward, and the following morning. I left her a raw egg and some yogurt, as I had to go to work. She wasn't interested in the egg before I left, but it was gone when I got home 13 hours later. She didn't touch the yogurt, she doesn't seem to like it.

She had pooped similar to what she had been pooping when I realized she was impacted. Water and little bits of poo that looked almost normal. Then the poos turned to water with a little bit of the white in them that is usually on top of their poos. She pooped the water all day yesterday. Last night she had two raw eggs and seemed hungry. Still wouldn't touch the yogurt.

This morning her towel (in the bottom of the cage) was soaked with the water poos (bad smell, but that could have been from the pre-surgery poos that she had left inside and passed after surgery). This morning she has had a raw egg and some yogurt fed with a syringe and continues the water poos. Otherwise she seems OK other than being post op in the house and bewildered.

How long will she continue these poos? Is it normal? She is a day and 3/4 after surgery now.

Thank you all so much. I used to go to the avian vet, but he is just tooooo expensive.

I would either buy a quart of buttermilk, or some Probios Dispersible Powder at your feed store. Take a little of the buttermilk and whip it into your raw egg. She will probably eat that alone, but you could also place in over a few bread crumbs, and I'm positive she will take it. Buttermilk is easier to digest than yogurt. The Probios is good, and is put in fresh water daily for probiotics. Another way to help firm up the poo is to give her a few cottage cheese curds each day. The diarrhea is probably from all the infection from her crop impaction, and can be fungal or bacterial. I'm not an expert on much of anything, especially crop problems, but offering help.

Well, heck! I have Probios in the frig! How is that for luck?

I will do just that. I did give her yogurt in a syringe and she took it well. I thoroughly enjoy it when they smack their, uh…lips….as if they are about to say, "tasty!".

My first flock adored yogurt. These girls are simply different. Much more fussy aboutt what they eat.

Thanks for your help.

casportpony:
There isn't anything to see yet. It's water with a hint of the white uric acid deposits on the surface. It was hard for me to distinguish. I had to go get my glasses! She's acting fine, but I want to know if this is ok. I don't know if the raw egg would make an actual poo.

She's my favorite girl, big brown eyes, and we would chat now and then. She made soft sounds and we would respond to each other. Yeah, I am personifying, but I think we were chatting and no one can convince me otherwise. She is at the bottom of the pecking order and the smallest.

casportpony:
There isn't anything to see yet. It's water with a hint of the white uric acid deposits on the surface. It was hard for me to distinguish. I had to go get my glasses! She's acting fine, but I want to know if this is ok. I don't know if the raw egg would make an actual poo.

She's my favorite girl, big brown eyes, and we would chat now and then. She made soft sounds and we would respond to each other. Yeah, I am personifying, but I think we were chatting and no one can convince me otherwise. She is at the bottom of the pecking order and the smallest.
When was her last normal poop?

-Kathy

I can't be certain when her last "normal" poop was, because she was having watery poops when I found her to have her crop impacted. At that time it was watery with dark green formed bits. That's what drew my attention to her. She pooped the same stuff until she cleared that out after the surgery and then started with the watery poop.

Back
Top Bottom