Post Crop Surgery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by randi62, Jul 29, 2013.

1. randi62

randi62 Hatching

Jul 29, 2013
    Hi! First time posting here. I have a pullet that I successfully performed crop surgery on late yesterday afternoon. She is doing amazingingly well today! I have a couple/few questions for y'all.

What should I be feeding her and for how long? So far this morning, she has had some lovely yogurt and 1/2 a scrambled egg. She is looking for more!! I was thinking of making a mash out of her feed? What say you?

What are the chances she will be a repeat offender? LOTS of grasses!! I am hoping this is a one time deal for Rose. If not, next time, I'll put in a zipper! ha ha. ( I was a vet tech for 20 years. We would make this joke about repeat offenders with intestinal blockage)

Her gullet closed nicely with superglue, but her skin incision is open. Just couldn't get it to close for nothing. As she was getting very shocky on us, I decided to just get her dry and into a warm(er) environment as opposed to subjecting her to kitchen table suturing. I have experience in treating open wounds, but not with chickens. I am thinking of using Veteriycn wound spray, wound powder if we can find it at Tractor Supply and lots of TLC. I am open to other suggestions. [​IMG]

Her stools are very watery. I am going to assume this is ok, especially since she is passing stool.

Thank you for reading. Any suggestions you offer me will be greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never had a bird with impacted crop (fortunately), but I think that some wet mash would be fine. Birds seem to love it, and if its moist, if probably won't cause another blockage.

In answer to your question about her being a "repeat offender", it is possible, but not entirely set in stone. Just make sure that you keep a close eye on her, and if you see any problems, get her away from the grass. Blockages caught early are easier to remedy, and often don't require surgery.

The watery droppings are probably normal. Once she starts getting some more feed, they'll firm up. Veteriycin [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]would work fine to treat the open wound, or you could just use Neosporin (without painkiller). [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good luck with her![/FONT]

1 person likes this.
  3. randi62

randi62 Hatching

Jul 29, 2013
    I forgot to mention - she sneezes. A lot. All the time. Weirdest dang thing. Can always find her on the property due to her cute, high-pitched "SnEE!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: