1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Post Disbudding Bleeding Emergency-Help/Advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ThornyRidge, May 9, 2009.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Posted this in another goat site.. seeing what I can figure out the quickest.. here is the scoop. (this is a 3 week old nigerian dwarf doe).

Disbudded kids last weekend.. tonight kids were out playing and one of the little does ( a white doe) was drenched in blood.. after gasping I picked her up and noticed blood literally dripping/pouring out of right disbudded area of head.. there was a lot of blood.. I ended up being covered and it was dripping down her little face.. running down into her eye.. I am totally unsure what happened- if she tore scab or what but I have never seen one bleed like this.. I quickly made a dash up to house for blood stop powder and caked on her little head.. at first it seemed as if it was not going to work.. blood still dripping down under the powder.. I held her on my lap for many minutes until it looked as if things caked up.. I sprinkled more on the spot and put her down.. she of course was running and jumping around.. I am fearful she will bump this or cause more injury to area when I am not around to monitor.. note that this goat was questionable polled but goat farmer that came and disbudded felt she was getting horns.. she had noticeable bumps at almost 2 weeks of age...

any suggestions on this little girls head? I am scared even if she is nursing off mom she may do something to cause profuse bleeding again.. I also worry about eye problems as she had blood running into eye along with the blood stop powder.. I wiped her eye out as best as I could but I was covered in blood and blood stop powder as well.. should I put something else on her head? spray antiseptic? I have had disbudded kids bleed a little after bumping scabs during healing but nothing like this.. I bout fellover when I saw her.. blood everywehere! so any ideas would be appreciated.

2. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    the blood stop powder should be fine, but if it continues to bleed you may need to apply pressure by putting on gauze and a bandage - either vet wrap or even duct tape works reasonably well.

note that this goat was questionable polled but goat farmer that came and disbudded felt she was getting horns.. she had noticeable bumps at almost 2 weeks of age...

you can tell polled from horned from the difference in hair whorls on the forehead at birth ... polled animals you will still feel bumps and I wonder if that is what has happened here​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by