post edited

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by vickig, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    deleted

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Depends on what you're having it for. We have several nigerian dwarves that were wonderful, smart, fun animals.

J

3. vickig

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    To keep my chickens company and possibly safe from predators.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What do you think the goats will protect your chickens from? The presence of goats does generally keep some critters at bay but not all and it isn't a gaurentee you won't have predator issues. If it is dogs or other animals goats have a innate fear of dogs/coyotes/etc and will be the prey just like other livestocks.

As far as keeping them company they won't make companions of one another. You may have chickens hanging around where the goats are but that is because they will scavange food from the goat areas and bugs and such that hang around where the poop is. My guineas follow my goats around but that is because they eat the goat poop. Yuck.

If you do get goats buy 2 or 3 goats. They are very social and thrive best on a herd. They need companionship from their own kind otherwise they are mischevious and destructive. Make sure you have good fences and things for them to jump and play on because they are escape artists and can do a lot of damage when bored.

I would suggest you consider at least one of them be a dairy goat to serve a purpose and provide your household with something you need and can use. The cost of feed and hay right now is really high. Goats nibble and eat all the time. If they don't have a place to forage for leaves and tender branches and brush they will naw on boards, fences, buildings. They eat alot. They spend most of their day nibbling on something.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I was going to reply, but MissPrissy said it all! [​IMG]

Just remember. Goats are not protectors. They have many predators just like chickens do and it is your job to protect both. If you want a protector, I would recommend a Great Pyrenees dog. Now that's a protector!

6. vickig

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    deleted

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if anyone welcomed you, but hi. I am new too and there are so many people here, and I never got a welcome, so it may seem I am not the best to welcome you, but howdy anyway.

I have 3 new goats. They are precious dwarf nigerian wethers. I actually chose males as these were going to slaughter, so just because they don't give milk or make babies, doesn't mean they don't have a purpose to us.

I have to say that my reading on goats has said that actually they can serve as a deterent to some smaller poultry predators such as racoons and weasals. Just their presence near the chicks helps.

You look like you have lots of animals, just like alot of us here.

I have had many animals in my life and this is the first time we have had goats. They are tops on my lists for companions and add beautifully to the herd.

I see you have some cattle. So you may cut your own hay. This is our situation. So hay costs are minimal. Plus it isn't always about making economic sense. Sometimes we just like to add to our ark, right?

[​IMG]

8. vickig

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    I edited this post because I didn't say I wanted a goat for a protector. I said possibly, that doesn't mean it's so.

I don't know anything about goats, but I do know when I am being written to in a condescending tone.

Thank you.

9. vickig

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    Thank you horsegirl and welcome to you too!

Thanks for your input.

Absolutely right on adding to the Ark [​IMG]

10. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Hey Vickig
    First off....welcome to BYC. It is a very informative forum, but you do need to let some things roll off.... I have two goats, inheretided them with the house. We love them to death they are very funny. I didn't see your first posting so I am just going by the others. I feel like I needed to post to let you know what happened to us. We had 4 baby ducks that were huge. They were too big to put in with the chickens so we put them in with the goats. We had never had a preditor problem before but something came in the goat pen and got all 4 of them. And the goats looked at us the next morning like What!! Did we miss something! They owners before us did have a Great Pyrness (sp?)
    and they had no problems at all. You may want to look into something like that.

If I am wrong about your posting, please take my appoligizes......anyway welcome.
    Tink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by