Post fly strike stench, infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meg7730, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Meg7730

Meg7730 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    Sarasota, FL
    My 3 year old brown hen(sorry idk what kind?) had maggots all over her bum yesterday! I talked with a vet and went to our feed store and got mild equine fly spray and used that on her...SO MANY CAME OUT IT WAS SO GROSS! I had to use tweezers and will never be the same. I also got some Banixx spray for bacterial and fungal infections. She was pretty swollen down there and is missing most of her feathers under her vent. Someone mentioned it looked like maybe she had an egg stuck so I’ve given her a couple of warm baths and blow dried her and kept her inside with us.
    She has started eating and drinking again today, but has diarrhea and is stinky(I’m also pregnant and everything smells so much stronger to me??) The emergency vet was not an option for us, but we can take her tomorrow if antibiotics may be needed.
    She is walking around the house fine now and was VERY lethargic yesterday and not eating. So she is improving. We only have 1 other chick that’s her sister and we let her come in and say hi and she seems better... I’m just concerned of scent. Maybe another bath?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    casportpony and True Patriot like this.
  2. Meg7730

Meg7730 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    Sarasota, FL
    casportpony likes this.
  3. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about her. It sounds like you are taking good care of it already. The smell may be related to a secondary infection. There are a lot of helpful people on here. Give them a bit to see your post. Some things most likely to come up- post pictures of the chicken and it's poop. May sound gross but it's a good tool for diagnosis. Also is she eating/drinking? Are you giving any other meds/supplements? Behavior changes? What led up to the fly strike? Was she sick before? Any other information you can provide will help others to enable the best care. Check out the injury illnesses forum in the meantime. Lots of good information there. Best regards.

casportpony and Meg7730 like this.
  4. Meg7730

Meg7730 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    Sarasota, FL
    I’m trying to figure out how to post a pic and I will! Thanks! I didn’t notice her being sick before, but she has never been a regular layer and it’s really hot right now here. She didn’t eat or drink yesterday except what I could get her to lick off of her beak and today she’s had a bit on her own. I got some Wazine from the feed store and put it in her water, but nothing other than that.

5. Meg7730

Meg7730 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    Sarasota, FL
    I’m not sure what led up to it?? I only know it was fly strike from this website when I found maggots all over her yesterday. She didn’t appear to have any wounds, but now she’s pretty raw from the damage they did yesterday. She’s very swollen down there but she’s able to poop so that seems to not be egg bound from what I’ve read? Some say try to drain it with a syringe, but I think I need to go to the vet for that.

6. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    I wish there was more I could tell you. I'm still pretty new and don't have the experience of others on here.

Once you have pictures click the "upload a file" button below where you type. I use my phone so there's no transfer to computer.

casportpony likes this.
  7. Meg7730

Meg7730 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    Sarasota, FL
    F137F3A8-C667-4F19-9BE5-090025E67A86.jpeg

8. Meg7730

Meg7730 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    Sarasota, FL
    Thank you much