Post Hatch Incubator Cleaning.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE, Dec 16, 2010.

1. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    I have a bator 1602n (Styrofoam bottom) what is the best way to clean the Styrofoam of the incubator. can bacteria survive from one hatch and infect the next hatch.
    my firsst hatch about 3 months ago, 13/15 (88%)survived and going strong, the next hatch about a month ago mortality rate was 100% and the hatch this week 1 of 7 have made it to day 3.
    so confused..ready to toss the incubator...btw these are my eggs so at least i am not wasting money on hatchin eggs.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Would that be Fort Oglethorpe?

For cleaning You can spray it down with a 10 to 1 bleach water mix then let it air out in the sun.

Day 3? Like not growing at all? That makes me think its a fertility issue. Like roosters to busy fighting over hens to actually breed or hens of some breeds needing there feathers trimmed.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The way I understand this, you had 7 chicks hatch, but six of them died by day three. Is that right? If you are thoroughly spraying the incubator with a bleach solution and allowing it to air dry (24 hours at most) there should be no bacteria left.

Are all the chicks from the same hen and roo? I'm thinking a genetic anomaly...

As these are your eggs then it certainly isn't a shipping issue. I'm stumped, but I did want to clear up whether these were eggs that quit at Day 3 (you wouldn't have anything much to candle till Day 10) or these were hatched chicks that died at between 0 and Day 3. Right?

Jenny

4. rebelcowboysnb

O ok its a failure to thrive after hatch issue? Are they dieing while still in the incubator or in the brooder?

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sanitizing and cleaning after every hatch is a must do, and yes Bacteria can survive from hatch to hatch and love to hide in those porus styrofoam incubators. It also could be some other issues as well, perhaps tweeking your hatching knowledge and skills could poosibly help with some issues. Then there is the birds you may need to evaluate them as well to include egg care and handling prior to setting them.

AL

6. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    this is a post-hatch issue...still holding on to one survivor from this last hatch...seems to be doing good...just lonely i suppose. If i had to bet..it is a bacteria issue..as i have not cleaned it since the last use. did i read a 10/1 mix bleach and water?

love my BYC family [​IMG]

7. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    about fort oglethorpe....ah no....im about 45 mins south of macon.

8. rebelcowboysnb

10 parts water to 1 part bleach will kill everything, even HIV. Medical equipment is cleaned that way.

9. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I always clean mine out after every hatch with dawn dish soap and hot water. I let that soak for a while then rinnse it out clean and then I will spray 10 to 1 water and bleach and then let it air dry. I usually end up with good hatch rates and never have lost a chick post hatch. Everything I have hatched has survived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by