Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Oct 20, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just curious how many just use eggs as is right from the nest if there isn't visible poop on them. I'm talking for cooked eggs and dishes, not raw.

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I never wash my eggs....

3. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I don't think I've ever washed a chicken egg. Now, the duck eggs, that's another story lol.

4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Why wash it if it's clean? [​IMG] I have enough things to wash around here...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    I use them without washing, Why would you want to wash the bloom off? If its dirty, it usually scapes off, if its really bad I'd wash it right before cooking it. The bloom its what protects the porous surface

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    if their clean when i get them the most they get is rubbed on my shirt

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I never wash my eggs. If they're dirty enough to need washing they go back to the chickens or to the dog.

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Really? If they are in need of a wash you won't eat them? Huh... LOL.

All my eggs are always nice and clean looking. I think if I had an open top nest box that might be different...

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Exactly what I do. The girls love it when I beat up an egg or two for them to gobble up. But no, I never wash the eggs, no matter what it's going to be made into. If you wash it you wash off the bloom and all the bacteria get in. And then it's THE END of the Healthy Egg.

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Quote:Its not that I WON'T eat them. I get enough eggs where we don't miss the dirty ones. Even though I share them with the chickens and dog I still have enough to share with my neighbors and family. So I figure, why give myself the extra chore of cleaning them when they can benefit my animals too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by