Post-Mink Attack, Swollen Face?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenCowboy02, Jan 16, 2019.

1. ChickenCowboy02

ChickenCowboy02 Predator Slayer

Hi everyone,
    on Monday I went out to the coop to let everyone out as per usual, and I was greeted by horrified cackling and a plethora of dead bodies. Unfortunately 4 hens and two roosters perished, and left one Black Australorp pullet clutching desperately on to life. But it was actually to the benefit of the whole flock, after I went inside to gather some supplies and look at a predator chart in one of my books I went back out to find Neovison vison, or the American Mink, trying to finish off the Black Aussie pullet. I just acted and didn't think, and luckily I was able to dispatch the attacker. Unfortunately the little pullet didn't make it and we had to put her down.

Here we are, 2 days later and one of my Buff Orpington roosters who survived, but not with out a few wounds that I've been treating, isn't doing so good. He moves his neck weirdly and then... his face.
    [​IMG]
    Any idea what's wrong with the poor fella?

Hopefully someone can give me the answers I'm looking for, thanks in advance. :)

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What is he doing with his neck? What are you doing for his face wounds? Are you offering him water and food? I would offer some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell 3 ml daily a drop or two at a time. Those have vitamins and minerals that may help treat wry neck, as well as electrolytes. Feed mixed with a bit of warm water and a little cooked egg may help coax him to eat.

Wounds can be treated with saline or Vetericyn Wound Spray, and an antibiotic ointment such as plain Neosporin can be applied twice a day. I would make sure that your coop is predator proof with hardware cloth. Sorry for your loss.

PeepersMama and ChickenCowboy02 like this.
  3. ChickenCowboy02

ChickenCowboy02 Predator Slayer

It's similar to if you're dozing off but then jerk awake. Yes I'm offering him water (with electrolytes and ACV) and food. I'll see if I can get to TSC, but the roads aren'tthe best atm and won't be for a couple days. I'll mix up the egg and feed asap.

I have been washing the wound with soap and water and then applying Vetericyn.
    The coop is predator proof, along with buried hardware cloth. I found where he got through and have since fixed the problem.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do your electrolytes contain vitamins as well? Vitamin E and thiamine (B1) plus selenium are good for his neck, which could be a neurological symptom or wry neck. Foods you can give for E is chopped almonds or sunflower seeds, thiamine is in ground hamburger or liver, and selenium is found in egg. Only a small bit of each is needed, and might get him eating.

5. GoProChickens

GoProChickens Chirping

Jan 13, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: