Post Office

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Jan 14, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Ok, I'm getting nervous. Have you picked up your mail order chicks from the post office? How does that work?

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

from what I understand, you can watch your tracking numbers, but a friend of mine picked his up and the personnel was not impressed and called demanding someone come NOW. LOL.
    So, go to the post office and make sure that is how your postal service works. But they do not deliver chicks, you have to go pick them up.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

hehe, how big is your post office?

I'm in Ohio too! Go Buckeyes!

GO to the Post Office several days at least before they're expected, tell them you are expecting live day old chicks. Let them know the scheduled date, and give them your phone number, and an alternate number too, just in case!

Sometimes they'll call you WAY early, as soon as the truck arrives before the office even opens... they might tell you to come to the back loading dock door, sometimes they'll wait till the PO actually opens.

When you get there, open the box in front of a clerk so you can see if any died in transit... most hatcheries require that so it's clear that they died in transit, not a day or two after you got them home.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    When my chicks arrived, the postal worker called me at 4:00 AM and told me that my chicks were in and that I could come and pick them up right away. He told me that I could go to the side door at the post office and he would be waiting on me. I got dressed and drove to the post office. I rang the bell and he brought my box of chics. He waited while I opened the box to make sure that all of them were alive. He was very nice.

5. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    [​IMG] Thanks for posting this info, my chicks ship out the 28th this month from Ideal, would like to know when I can expect to pick them up.

6. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    I live in a small town, i called the post office and told them when to expect my chicks, they called 6am ( has been a few years ago) i woke kids, put them in the truck expecting big box, get there , at back door , could here them peepin the kids were small very excitied, guy brings me a box size of a shoe box (ordered 36 chics) i was shocked ...but they were all alive and healthly from McMurray, we still laugh about that to this day, me taking the truck thinking box would not fit in a car hahahhaa Good luck with your new babys ....[​IMG]

7. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Quote:36 chicks in a shoe box [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ever get stuck in an elevator with about a dozen people? Got pretty warm didn't it? That's the whole idea. [​IMG]

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Well, we love picking up chicks at the P.O. Usually at least one worker there is totally excited, though as its got more common to have chickens again these last few years I guess some are more blase.

We have a family tradition of always going there in our pyjamas, as it is usually around 6 a.m. when they call.

10. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    My Post office called me at 10:30 PM!
    I got to see the post office at night ~~ creepy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by