Post-Operative depressed chook - help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Down Under, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Chicks Down Under

Chicks Down Under New Egg

Sep 12, 2010
    Sister is a 4 year old Isa Brown.

She had had a dirty bottom for a week or two (after I had fed her a lot of salad scraps) and then 5 days ago she was very depressed and lethargic and appeared to have what looked like pale egg yolk coming from her vent, so I took her to the vet. She had not been laying over winter, though we have just come into spring and one of her flock (and Aracana) has been laying every day for about 10 days. After an xray the vet diagnosed a very large egg which was aspirated and I was advised she would pass the shell in 24-48 hours.

She has had a number of poops - all of them small and liquid - of a pale egg yolk substance (more the colour of scrambled eggs). Nothing resembles the egg shell.

Giving the tablet antibiotics is not the easy task the vet had said it would be... the vet had called me after surgery, and said that the antibiotics would be easy to administer and that she would show me how. She wanted to keep Sister in for observation overnight and was off work when I went to pick her up - so the receptionist gave me advice some of which appears to conflict with a lot of what I have read on BYC... (I asked if I needed to be concerned about Sister's airway when administering the antibiotic and she said not at all!) I am not at all sure that Sister received an adequate amount of the antibiotics yesterday, tried in bread, in yoghurt and I finally ended up grinding, dissolving in water and using a syringe. This morning it only took 15 minutes to dose her - (yesterday it was 1.5 hours morning and again at night), she seemed to get most of the dose today and she was more alert and engaged in taking.

It is now 4 days since her surgery and she is still quite depressed. She is engaged and affectionate when I am there tho quite quiet, and after a while she simply stands and shuts her eyes. She is not self feeding though she is self watering, and she took a small amount of yoghurt and applesauce from my fingers this morning tho she needed to be prompted to take it.

I am relatively new to this - I originally bought my chooks with a neighbour who saw them as farm animals and he would cull when they got sick. He has gone OS and for me the remaining girls have become pets. Am keen to do whatever I can, and will take her back to the vet if recommended though I was told in a chat room this morning that I should have soaked her in a bath of warm water for a few hours rather than having the vet intervene. I feel really confused and conflicted... I want to do the best thing for her, make her as comfortable as possible and assist her getting well. I am concerned that by taking her to the vet I have caused unnecessary trauma. I don't have unlimited funds either and so am keen to know what I can do myself and get the vet in only when necessary.

Although her weight seems ok at the moment I am concerned about it given that she is not self feeding and has been off her food for several days now. How often and how much and what should I be trying to feed her with? Does she need vitamin or mineral supplements and if so can I get them from the local pet store/ feed store or do I need them from a vet? And should I be providing her with grit even though she is on soft foods?

On her vet's advice she was in the chook house since she came back from the vet two days ago but she put herself to bed early yesterday afternoon which concerned me - so now she is in the laundry on old towels and blankets. She has the company of Aragon (an Aracana hen) who has an impacted crop and is very underweight... they seem to be keeping each other company and appear to show concern for each other (???).

Any feedback on the treatment I have given her to date and any suggestions would be so gratefully appreciated!

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave my chick Baytril with a syringe for about 21 days and it worked for her but I haven't had an eggbound hen. Did you do the warm bath yet? It is very concerning that she isn't eating on her own. It is good she has a companion. I'm just more or less bumping your question. Good Luck.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

You can get vitamins at the feed store or online. Premier Poultry Products I think is where I got mine.

4. Chicks Down Under

Chicks Down Under New Egg

Sep 12, 2010
    Thank you, I am off shopping for Baytril and will look for a couple of books too. I have several but none are detailed enough...

5. Rockerchic

Rockerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I'd take her back to the vet, and let him (her) know my concerns. Buying random books and over the counter items will rapidly add up. Good luck with the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by