1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Post pics and stories of your Hero Roosters!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ErikaSmit, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    Salad, my Silkie Rooster died defending his hens from a predator. Lost only him and 1 hen. What an amazing rooster!
    Would love to see your hero roosters and read their stories!
    [​IMG]

2. hondo58

hondo58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Just posted this on another thread. Sorry to hear your roo died doing his job.

Louie earned his keep today. A hawk swooped in and out of nowhere attacked one of his Cinnamon Queens while she was free ranging, (not the "photo bomber" but the other who is always lagging behind). Louie spun around and attacked the hawk while it was on the ground and scared it off just as it was about to take the hen down. She lost some feathers but otherwise is no worse for wear. I'm really glad to have him around, and so is the hen. For a five month old roo he sure has figured it out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

Jasper saw the hawk before I did, and made a loud squack. All of the hens ran under the roof, into the coop, and Jasper stood at attention in the middle of the yard. He was ready to risk his life for his hens. I know he would always defend his hens, no matter what the danger, and he'd prefer to die is it meant saving his hens.

[​IMG]

4. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I posted this a couple weeks ago...

I've read about this many times here but witnessed it for the first time today.

(A little background: Wanted to introduce Max (6 mo. old RIR roo) to his own flock (7 BO and 3 WR just over 2 mos.) and let him free range with them the other day. He's ready,, they are not. Had to separate, but all are still within eye and ear shot, and have been for some time.)

Here goes: Had the little girls out free ranging while going about regular 'duties' in the barn and (now defunct) garden and decided to take a little break. While sipping on my coffee, I heard a crow I've never heard before....and then saw a stampede of twenty little chick feet making a beeline for the coop. I looked up to my left and there was a some kind of a bird (hawk? chicken hawk? ) descending as if it were after something. I jumped up and herded everyone in, like they needed my help for that. Max's quarters are right next to the coop and they all huddled up closest to him.

Even from his confinement, he managed to warn the babies and did what he could to keep them safe. OMG

It all happened so fast. I don't know if I would have been quick enough if it hadn't been for Max.

As a side note, and I don't know if this could be the case, but even the ducks took cover!

Yay Max!!!

My Max...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by