Post Pics of Black Australorps from Cackle Hatchery PLEASE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarredBuff, Mar 13, 2011.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Hey I just ordered some BAs from Cackle. How were they? Were they large? Good egg layers? Broody?

Any pics of em?

Thansk

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Bump

3. patty12

patty12 Songster

Jan 24, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought the brown egg layer package from cackle last year. The black chick in the young bird photo is one of the australops I got in the other photo the black birds are the australops .
    I didn't like them even tho' I thought I would. they were smaller than the other hens and layed a smaller egg than the red stars and the white rocks. I liked the rocks for the egg size but they looked dirty because of the white feathers. My australops had a feather or two that was white but they lost those when adults. They also tried to hide their nest so I think they would have gone broody. all in all I think the red sex links I bought from cackle is the best and that was the hens I kept.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    BarredBuff-

I think you will be quite happy with the birds you get from Cackle, I orders from Cackle 4 time and never was I disappointed with what I received.
    I ordered there Hatchery Surprise (Hatchery Choice) 4 times along with 5 Light Brahma, 5 Black Giant, 5 Silver and 5 Gold Laced Wyandotte and all birds I received (450 to 500 in all) where above normal hatchery quality. They weren't top show bird but far better than stock that you would receive from the other two top selling hatcheries.

I would recommend using a good high protein starter/grower one that is around 22% protein and preferable one that contains some type of animal protein then keep then on it till they are at least a year old. If they start to lay before a year old just supplement with oyster shell, after they are a year old they if you like you can switch them to a good layer or breeder feed.

Chris

5. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Patty what time of year did you order them?

6. patty12

patty12 Songster

Jan 24, 2011
    April 15 . I alway order my chicks in spring. all the pullets started laying in the fall. The australopes started the same time as the others.

7. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    I will probably lay the high protein feed to em! Make em fat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: