1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Post pics of garden landscaping around your coop

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by coralbell7, Jun 19, 2016.

1. coralbell7

coralbell7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Hello everyone! I'm curious to see if anyone has placed a garden (veggies or flowers) around the coop for landscaping. Our coop looks so drab and I'm looking for inspiration! I can't wait to see what everyone posts!

2. Adb4090

Adb4090 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Pace, Florida
    Great idea! My coop was finished about two weeks ago, all of the landscaping is new and hasn't grown in yet. I took transplants from my garden and moved some flowers in too. Its hard to tell from the pics because everything is still small but I planted:
    Rosemary
    Thyme
    Oregano
    Basil
    Lemon Balm
    Bee Balm
    Marigolds
    Sage
    Echinacea
    Mint
    Chives
    Lavender
    Sunflowers
    Roses
    And maybe some others I can't think of

All of these plants are edible and beneficial for my chickens. Also, attract healthy bugs for them to eat! The plants should also create a visual barrier between them and yard that feels safe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the fall, I plan to add some leafy greens to to give them. Then in the spring grow nasturtium and black eyed susan up the side for them to munch on.

3. coralbell7

Apr 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    What a great idea! I love the thought of a nice fragrant herb garden coupled with the beauty of flowers! It's going to look wonderful !

4. spencecat

spencecat New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Taylorsville, UT
    I currently have squash plants and onions planted near the coop and run.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have tons of bark and straw mulch down.

1 person likes this.
  5. coralbell7

Apr 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My veggie garden is on the other side of the yard in raised beds. Our coop is new construction so I have a clean slate. I thought about growing a garden just for the chickens since they enjoy the family garden so much. Vine plants like pole beans and cucumbers could grow up the sides of the run to not only provide tasty tidbits but also provide shade. That is if the girls let the plants actually grow before consuming them! [​IMG]

6. coralbell7

Apr 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is our coop. Our girls are 15 weeks old. As you can see its out in the open so it gets pretty hot. I have tarps down to kill the grass so I can plant a garden around the whole structure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by