1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

post pics of your barred rocks!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Leah567, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

post your barred rocks pics here.

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  3. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Awww!! such cuties!

4. 0wen

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Hands down my favorite breed of chicken. The photos above are from my bantam flock. Mostly Horstman lines, with a trio added from Sturgeon origin flock (Horstman birds are better imho). I have some Duckworth line LF in the incubator currently. Eventually I think I'll wind up with only Barred Rocks in on form or another. Currently have a mix flock - a few Svart Hona that I may have to keep because my wife likes them (they do have great personalities) - but I have some Legbars, Orpingtons, & Marans that are taking space that could be filled with rocks. ;)

5. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]I love the rocks! Is your rooster friendly?

6. 0wen

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Incredibly. Easy to pick up and handle. I can pick him up for inspection and such without issue - no feather flapping to escape and never a sign of aggression. My kid's go into the coop regularly and can pick him up, pet, hand feed, etc. He's currently the only barred rock bantam rooster I have, but plan on hatching a clutch as soon as my incubator is free and hope to keep another rooster or two.

Part of it is his heritage I'm sure, but my first barred rocks were hatchery quality and they were all docile as well. My first rooster was actually a hatchery rock and to date, possibly my most friendly bird - lost to predation a long time ago unfortunately (pet sitters and all, before I went to an enclosed open air coop - the reason I did actually).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  7. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    That's great you have a friendly rooster!!! I've a lot of people say that they had to rehome theirs. I am hoping to get a rooster soon!

8. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

My white rock Ellie!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by