Post pics of your chicken door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Moselle, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    We've gotten started on our coop, but haven't decided on a door yet. I'd like one that:
    1. opens on the side and into the run
    2. I can open and close from outside the run

I'm just not sure how to work it - guillotine style, drop-down ladder style, opening to the side (like a real person door)...especially when it comes to closing it up for the night. This will be for a smallish chicken-tractor style coop.

Thanks!

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have mine on the ameraucana coop guillotine style with a cord that runs to the outside that I can open or close without going into the run or coop. I did the same with my hutches in the breeding pens.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Naturally everyone has their own preferences, but fwiw here's mine:

I like the kind with hinges on the top, that opens into sort of a 'porch roof', best because if designed properly it is self-cleaning, so that litter or poo or whatever cannot get in the way of the door closing properly. Also I like the 'porch roof' effect, which does help a bit to keep rain from coming in and wetting the litter around the doorway inside the coop.

You can see my tractor's door at https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-tractor . There is nothing tractor-specific about the design, would work for a regular coop.

The only thing anyone could complain about with this kind of door is that (like the guillotine style) it does not make its own ramp. I actually look at that as a plus, since it means you can build a permanent ramp or in my case 'hopping block' such that there's a gap between the top of the ramp/block and the coop, so that mice or whatever can't just waltz right up. I do not find it to be any trouble whatsoever, and when I initially had a solid ramp there, the chickens would just hop up and down anyhow, hence the single 'hopping up on block' you see in the photos.

I don't think there's much anything wrong with the guillotine style either, btw, especially if engineered so that litter or poo can't prevent it from fully closing.

JMHO,

Pat

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I'll try to get a photo later. It is raining and icing here right now.

All of my pophole door slide up and down.

5. Moselle

Jan 17, 2008
    Pat, I hadn't thought of a top-hinged door - I like it! Your coop looks a lot like the one we're making.

6. ThreeGlovers

ThreeGlovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    Not the greatest pic of the door but if you look you can see I did the top hinge idea. I ran a wire up and out the top so I can lift the door and latch it open. Hope this helps you.

Bo

[​IMG]

7. okto

okto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    los angeles
    two doors in one, a small door for chickens

[​IMG]

and a bigger door for cleaning and airing

[​IMG]

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Here is ours. I used a jigsaw to cut out a chicken shape in it. It gets closed at night since my run in chain link.

[​IMG]

9. Moselle

Jan 17, 2008
    Quote:That door is too cute! Your hen looks like she's expecting visitors [​IMG]

10. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Love that cutout! How cute!

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by