post pics of your duck feeder's pleaseee

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickens&ducks_RULE, Aug 5, 2010.

1. chickens&ducks_RULE

chickens&ducks_RULE Chirping

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    hey, would you post pics of your duck feeder's please

im want to get a bigger feeder for my 3 ducks (soon to be 8 ducks) and cant think what to use

thanks so much [​IMG]

~Daniel

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I have 9 ducks. The Le Bistro dog waterer is 2.75 gallons, but I only fill it 3/4 full per night and it has never run empty. The do make a larger 5 gallon one, but that is pretty heavy to load. You can find this one in pet and feed stores, as well as Walmart. Runs around 22 dollars. I use two dog food bowls (pic only shows one) and they are only half full. I could use one larger bowl instead. I use a deep rubbermaid box lid as a drip catcher. You could use the shallow large box they have too. I never have a mess on the floor with water in this setup.
    [​IMG]
    Outside I have a rinse off station for all the items.
    [​IMG]

3. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Songster

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:Do you have a picture of your whole set up? I am still trying to decide how to do mine - I have 8 ducks. I would like to see your housing and pens. thanks!

4. katharinad

Ok lets see what I have. The inside of the duck house was divided until the younger ones were bigger. You saw the picture with the divider in place and I still have to take a new one. The room is now 10x8 feet and has rubber runners as flooring, which is available at Home Depot. They are textured and ducks will not slip on them. I use a floor scrubber for cleanup each morning. Its really fast, since we use pine wood shavings. The glass windows provide lots of light, which helps with egg production. The outer pen is 10x16 feet and only used to round them up. That pen is connected to our fenced in backyard, which they get each evening for 2 hours. From there they walk into their pen and duck house each night all by themselves. They are using the right side of the building only through a dog door. The left side is storage for us.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We do have another fenced in area across from our parking lot which is about one acre in size. That is were they spend all day.
    [​IMG]
    We do have two pools out there, but you only see one. Each kiddie pool has a ball valve so we can drain the water without lifting it. They also have decks we have build for the large and medium sized pools available at Walmart. I can give you drawings per email if you like so you can easily build them out of 2x4s.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  5. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Songster

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    I would love to have the drawings : [email protected]
    I love your set up! How often do you change the shavings?

6. katharinad

Just sent you the 3 pages with my drawings.
    I sweep out the shavings each morning using a floor scrubber from Home Depot. It is about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket I get each day, which I dispose under shrubs etc. That will cut down the flies to zero. I buy the bedding at the feed store, since it is really cheap there. A big bag is about 6 dollars and lasts for about 2 weeks. The floor does not need much of it, just enough to absorb the wet stuff. In the evening I go back in and scatter new shavings out. I find this the most hygienic way of dealing with duck poo. I know some use the deep littler method and only clean once per week. In my mind that is nasty, but that is my opinion and I'm sure those using this method disagree with me. So you need to find out what works best for you.

7. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Songster

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    thanks a million - this will really help!

8. chickens&ducks_RULE

chickens&ducks_RULE Chirping

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    ooo real nice setup you got there [​IMG]

anyone else got pics of there duck feeder's ???

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:All I can say is WOW....that is nice.

10. katharinad

Thanks, but I have even seen prettier setups on this board. We went the most cost effective way and lots of labor. We did build the duck house ourselves, so the fence, the little pool decks, etc. The duck house with insulation, roofing, insulated storm doors, windows, and outdoor run were about 800 dollars. Can't imagine how much it would have been having someone else build it. The rest was less then 100 bucks. This just works well for us, and yes it looks nice. Anyone, who decides to go for it should be able too. Even if you are not a construction person. Really just watch some of those home improvement shows and you will learn a lot. After that you just have to dive in and learn as you go. I've posted the pictures as an inspiration.
    Oh did I mention I'm doing all the design and my hubby is the muscle labor. He just asks me what and where to hold. I'm even doing the electrical work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by