Post Pics of Your Silkie Cockerels...as Chicks!

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
I have a pair of silkies and I'm thinking one may be a boy. It would be great to compile photos of peoples' silkie chicks who turned out to be cockerels. Progression pics would be even more awesome!

I'll add my suspect chick, although I won't know for sure anytime soon
tongue.png

As a baby
DSCN2334.jpg

A month later
DSCN2600.jpg

DSCN2630.jpg

Quote:
HA HA! HA HA! HA HA HAAAA!
Gotta love Silkies!
Dang-g-g-g-g, they're cute!
Yours is so appealing I was o-o-oing with tears in my eyes. (but my coffee is too hot so - that might be part of the reason)
I have one black Silkie hen and cannot keep very many chickens so the only way I can enjoy the variety is due to you kind folks here on BYC, thank you.

Too cute. Sigh. I just wanna grab him and run.
Sorry I can't help w/ progressional pics. We got Silkie as a 'used chicken'.

Pics of them as babies from other people isn't really going to help. They all look the same as babies and even up to a couple months old. Just want and see for actual signs for one sex or the other.

From left to right...black pullet (Miss Phantom), blue pullet(Miss Bluey Bumbles), splash cockerel(Mr. Silva), & a polish crested(Miss Trouble) (couple days old)
91292_3_silkies_1_polish_crested_2-16-11.jpg

Splash cockerel was named Sylvia
tongue.png
now Mr. Silva LOL (couple days old)
91292_dsc_0008.jpg

Now Mr4 Silva crows every morning & mounts
cool.png
(now 5 months old)
91292_dsc_0020.jpg

Quote:
I know, and that's fine. I still find it interesting and besides, when is it ever a bad time to see pics of silkies?

The reason I started this was because the breeder I got my silkies from (Marjorie Best...who's been breeding for forever) swears on using their vaults to sex. She told me females have very evident vaults and males do not (would have to be quality stock though). She said she's sexed with really good accuracy. So far, I think she's right. Lucy had a very obvious vault buldge on her head as a baby whereas the other only had a slight bump. I picked it out, but I didn't pay attention and picked purely on how cute it was. Well...looks like I should have listened and picked another one with a big vault.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I know, and that's fine. I still find it interesting and besides, when is it ever a bad time to see pics of silkies?

The reason I started this was because the breeder I got my silkies from (Marjorie Best...who's been breeding for forever) swears on using their vaults to sex. She told me females have very evident vaults and males do not (would have to be quality stock though). She said she's sexed with really good accuracy. So far, I think she's right. Lucy had a very obvious vault buldge on her head as a baby whereas the other only had a slight bump. I picked it out, but I didn't pay attention and picked purely on how cute it was. Well...looks like I should have listened and picked another one with a big vault.
roll.png

My Silkies are some of the highest quality out there (George M and the like) and that is totally not true with mine. ALL of my chicks hatch vaulted, boys and girls. I have never heard of sexing them by vaults. With Polish, yes, not Silkies though.

Back
Top Bottom