Post Pics of Your Silkie Cockerels...as Chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hokankai, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I have a pair of silkies and I'm thinking one may be a boy. It would be great to compile photos of peoples' silkie chicks who turned out to be cockerels. Progression pics would be even more awesome!

I'll add my suspect chick, although I won't know for sure anytime soon [​IMG]

As a baby
    [​IMG]

A month later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    Quote:HA HA! HA HA! HA HA HAAAA!
    Gotta love Silkies!
    Dang-g-g-g-g, they're cute!
    Yours is so appealing I was o-o-oing with tears in my eyes. (but my coffee is too hot so - that might be part of the reason)
    I have one black Silkie hen and cannot keep very many chickens so the only way I can enjoy the variety is due to you kind folks here on BYC, thank you.

Too cute. Sigh. I just wanna grab him and run.
    Sorry I can't help w/ progressional pics. We got Silkie as a 'used chicken'.

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Nobody has any pics of their silkie cockerels as babies? [​IMG]

4. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Well, I still don't know which are what...
    Here the one I think is a boy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the one I think is a girl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Pics of them as babies from other people isn't really going to help. They all look the same as babies and even up to a couple months old. Just want and see for actual signs for one sex or the other.

6. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    From left to right...black pullet (Miss Phantom), blue pullet(Miss Bluey Bumbles), splash cockerel(Mr. Silva), & a polish crested(Miss Trouble) (couple days old)
    [​IMG]

Splash cockerel was named Sylvia [​IMG] now Mr. Silva LOL (couple days old)
    [​IMG]

Now Mr4 Silva crows every morning & mounts [​IMG] (now 5 months old)
    [​IMG]

7. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:I know, and that's fine. I still find it interesting and besides, when is it ever a bad time to see pics of silkies?

The reason I started this was because the breeder I got my silkies from (Marjorie Best...who's been breeding for forever) swears on using their vaults to sex. She told me females have very evident vaults and males do not (would have to be quality stock though). She said she's sexed with really good accuracy. So far, I think she's right. Lucy had a very obvious vault buldge on her head as a baby whereas the other only had a slight bump. I picked it out, but I didn't pay attention and picked purely on how cute it was. Well...looks like I should have listened and picked another one with a big vault. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  8. snowburton8

snowburton8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I think the black one is a roo. But who knows! Silkies are one of the hardest chickens to sex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:I know, and that's fine. I still find it interesting and besides, when is it ever a bad time to see pics of silkies?

The reason I started this was because the breeder I got my silkies from (Marjorie Best...who's been breeding for forever) swears on using their vaults to sex. She told me females have very evident vaults and males do not (would have to be quality stock though). She said she's sexed with really good accuracy. So far, I think she's right. Lucy had a very obvious vault buldge on her head as a baby whereas the other only had a slight bump. I picked it out, but I didn't pay attention and picked purely on how cute it was. Well...looks like I should have listened and picked another one with a big vault. [​IMG]

My Silkies are some of the highest quality out there (George M and the like) and that is totally not true with mine. ALL of my chicks hatch vaulted, boys and girls. I have never heard of sexing them by vaults. With Polish, yes, not Silkies though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by