Post pictures of your girls' combs here!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaggieRae, Oct 31, 2009.

1. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Eggs, how long do I have to wait again?
    My pullets are a day from 19 weeks and their combs are getting kind of red, but it's the silver laced wyandottes that have really got the prize.
    So if anyone might be willing to post some pics of their hens right as/before/or after their hens started laying, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

2. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    ... No one?

I ask because my mother wants some eggs. [​IMG]

3. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Here is a picture of our two NHRs and RIR about a week before laying:

[​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

This is Queenie on the left, before her comb reddened, and about a month before she started laying:
    [​IMG]

I took this pic at night, but you can see em pretty clearly. Those are my Leghorns and they've been laying about 7 weeks in the pic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  5. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Thank you both for posting. [​IMG]

And my SLWs' combs are as red as your leghorns, Tala. Does that indicate eggs soon?

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Generally red = eggs. They averaged about 1.5 to 2 weeks of red before they started to actually lay, so you are close.
    However, ONE of the three Leghorns had a red comb for dang near 4 weeks. I was starting to think that she was a "dud"

Now we get 4 eggs almost every day! [​IMG]

7. Whitey_87

Whitey_87 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Took this picture today after she layed her first egg. Believe it or not I was holding her and petting her back, she had her head pushed into the crook of my elbow and laid her egg. I think she was scared and needed some reassurance. She has been making a lot of noise for the past week and especially this morning. It wasn't the traditional egg song but more of a sustained errrrk-ing. Today I did get the egg squat from her when I was putting food out. I took a good guess that she was ready so I watched her for awhile. I saw her trying to find a secluded spot so I picked her up and could feel the egg in her abdomen. I put her in the nest box, she almost layed there, she was moving the wood chips around but then went out of the coop. I got her into the coop again and in the box but she came over to me and pushed her head into me, so I started petting her. I peeked around and saw the vent getting big. I didn't see the egg come out but she made a mini squat and removed her head. She stepped aside and there it was. I put it in the nest box so she could inspect it there. Not a sound out of her after it came out...I wanted to hear the legit egg song. She resumed her normal chicken activites.

sorry for the long post, here is the pick. There is another that is squatting for me, the comb is slightly smaller but not by much. All six of them are RIR's and are 20wks, give or take a couple days - I did not hatch them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  8. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

The white EE had been laying for about 3+weeks (she's 26 weeks in the picture), the Black Australorp and Dominique laid their first eggs the day this was taken, at about 21 weeks. I have two more 26 week EE who have yet to lay an egg, and their combs look like the white EE:/. They're all individuals!

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I don't have any pics for you, but I will tell you that the colder weather that is coming my cause them to lay a little later that normal. Usually most hens start laying around 6 mos but I've had some lay as early as 5 mos and as late as 9 mos.

BTW: Great job on you poem!!!!!!!

10. MaggieRae

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Yeah, I've heard that winter makes them lay later for some reason? And something to do with molting...
    Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by