****Post Pictures of Your Hounds!!****

DuckFanatic

Songster
13 Years
Jun 15, 2009
AZ
Hounds are awesome dogs that have so much personality and character. I'd love to see everybody's hounds and I'm sure others will enjoy them, too. Put there name, a pic(s) of them, how you got them, how old they are, what breed they are, and anything else you would like to add in! I'll start!
We rescued my bloodhound, Dewie, from a rescue in Dewey, AZ(hense the name). He was shipped from Little Rock, Arkansas, to here in AZ, where he then spent most of his life in a crate. He wasn't exposed to anything in the outside world and was scared of everything. One night his owners took him on a walk and he got spooked by something and took off(ripping the leash from his owner's hands). He was lost for 7 days and, honestly, I am surprised they ever got him back. He was terrified and skinny when they found him. His owners didn't have time to devote to him and so he was placed in the rescue.
I saw him on petfinder and we went up to see him. Long story short, we rescued him after driving up to the rescue two times. He has come a LONG ways! So here are some pictures of my big boy!
34412_my_pets_152.jpg

34412_my_pets_010.jpg

34412_the_great_outdoors_039.jpg

34412_ducks_and_dewey_004.jpg

Last edited:
This is my late friend Ladybird. I had never wanted a Bloodhound, but she and I met through some strange circumstances. I'd always wanted a dog, and my parents wouldn't have one in their home, so I finally got one when I was in college in KS. I went to the pound, and brought home a Black and Tan Coonhound. She had terrible separation anxiety so I had to take her everywhere, including to class. I went to visit a friend 100 miles away one night, and took her with me so she didn't drive my roommates crazy. We left her at his house while we went out, as nobody was going to be home, and we even called his roommate to make sure if he did come home he knew there was a dog loose in the house that might try and get out. Well we got home to find no dog and no roommate. We called him, and he had let her out because he had thought she needed the bathroom, without a leash in an unfenced yard. My friend is a cop, so he called in to see if anyone had found a stray dog. They said they'd had a call about one, but when they went to the spot where it had been spotted there was nothing there. We went there, and found her laying on the shoulder. She'd got 4 miles in under 20 minutes, and was on her way home. She was such a gentle dog she didn't even growl when we moved her. We rushed her to the hospital, but they had to put her to sleep. It broke my heart, and my roommates took me to adopt another dog. We went to the shelter, and they had a Black and Tan puppy that I purposely didn't pick out because I didn't want the heartbreak of another hound, and wanted a more trainable dog. I came home with a black lab/golden retriever puppy, now my other search dog Kodiak. A couple of days later the pound where I had got my first dog from called to say they had her. I told them it was not possible, as I had had to have her put to sleep. They were certain it was Scarlett, so I had to go there and take them the invoice from the vet as proof. Out of curiosity I had to take a look at the dog they had, and they were very similar. I was still very emotional about the loss of Scarlett, and felt like maybe I had a second chance and had to help this dog.

I went to collect her when her week was up, and found that kennel was empty. When I asked the animal control officer where she was, she told me she had died from an internal obstruction. By this point both she and I were in tears. She told me she had another dog that she had brought in last night, that wasn't pretty but she thought I would like. She brought out an enormous, very saggy Bloodhound that was a real mess. She was a puppymill cast off. The dog came up to me and rested her head on my shoulder and sighed. She rolled onto her back so I could rub her belly, and got her paw around the back of my neck so I couldn't get away. That was that, and I promised her i'd be back in a week, and i'd only managed to be houndless for 2 weeks. I was waiting for the pound to open that morning so I could get her out of that place, and we never looked back. She had heartworm, but we treated her for that, her coat grew back in, and she had more and more energy as the months went on. I trained her for Search and Rescue. She was a wonderful dog, and loved everybody, but didn't know her size. She also had a rotten sense of humour! She passed suddenly in September 2007 from bloat/a twisted gut, and things haven't been the same since. When I came home she would take a long sniff, as if to say 'it's good to smell you'. I tried to stay up all night with her when she passed so that she could smell that I was there with her. She was just so stubborn and funny with it, I couldn't stay mad at her. She certainly made the most of her time here, and brought so much joy and slobber to people she met. I'm sure she's enjoying a bottomless bowl of food and a comfy sofa now.

This was her in her prime:

buttons062.jpg

47b7ce22b3127cce985486c2d37f0000002.jpg

One morning I woke up and found her laying in the bathtub, being a dork:

buttons047.jpg

We even ended up with our current Bloodhound Penny (Moneypenny) through strange circumstances. I wanted to rescue another one, but we couldn't find a young female Bloodhound. I contacted a breeder whose website I had seen, who had a litter due. She wrote back to say that she had lost her pregnant female to a twisted gut also. A few days later she e-mailed me to say that the breeder that they had got their breeding stock from was retiring, and had a black and tan puppy and a red puppy left from her last litter. They'd lost a black and tan, and we'd lost a red, so I guess it was just meant to be! She loves to trail, and is also training for SAR. We had her stomach tacked when she was spayed, and are hoping she stays safe.

Penny as a puppy:

nepuppies035.jpg

nepuppies.jpg

Her first night with us. Ruger our pointer loves to play uncle:

Photos002.jpg

Photos047.jpg

Penny at 10 months:

Chickens002.jpg

This is Penny's father, Grizz:

grizz09-07.jpg

Beautiful dogs! I only have a Treeing Walker Coonhound. Would post pics if I got permission, otherwise I don't wish to threadjack.

Thanks so much for the compliments
big_smile.png
Thanks for the stories Cara, they were great and the pictures are adorable too!
wink.png
I'm so sorry about all of your dog misfortunes
hugs.gif

I think I will change the title to "Post pictures of your hounds" because all hounds are adorable.. please feel free to post pics of your treeing walker hound, bootsuu
big_smile.png

BTW, sorry it took so long to post a response, I didn't notice how many new posts there was
tongue.png

Edited to say: SaraBeth, please post pictures of your coon hound!

Last edited:
This is my redbone coonhound, Gus. He was my baby, but sadly last year he got out and never came home. We think a hunter picked him up. We posted a $500 reward, but no luck. Hopefully he is happy wherever he is.

33716_dsc00009.jpg

33716_dsc00013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom