Post pictures of your nest boxes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Feb 17, 2011.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    My muscovy female is only 4 months old but I cant wait for her to start laying so I'm going to build her a nest box in the mean time. So post pictures of your nest boxs, I need some ideas.

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Same ones I use for my chickens. Ducks aren't picky [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ps there are lots of nest box threads one here. Do a search for some great pictures.

3. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I was thinking of making the entrance a hole that she can just fit into so my drake cant go in, and then making the actual box pretty roomy.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Cat litter trays

[​IMG]

5. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

gofasterstripe.. I like the cat litter box idea [​IMG] never thought of that. ~ *DO Ducks Need to have Boxes? *~WHAT Is In The Box For Bedding? Thanks, Julie

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:These litter boxes are the covered boxes with the hole in the top bit. The box comes in 2 parts, so 1 box makes 2 nests, I just cut out a walk wat on the bottom half so the duck can get in. I just use shaveings in the box.

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    No box, little Miss Blue seems to prefer under one of the shrubs next to the deck...
    [​IMG]

Ally and Cadbury are happy to lay theirs in storage bins in their house. I have 2 square bins meant for Christmas stuff that we found at target/HD this Christmas and a larger 30x18x6 bin as well. All 3 fit into their duck house and are filled with leaves/pine straw and they build a nest somewhere with the pine straw or just made do with the leaves since nest building doesn't work so well with just leaves.

8. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I have straw all around it now.. scrap wood ... and they use it most of the time.

9. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I just use hay... I have it spread all over the ground in their fenced in area & in their little outhouse, lol just looks like an outhouse..no toilet seat. My 8yr. old son made it. lol ~*Is hay a good thing to use or not? ~*Do ducks need nest boxes? My ducks have made their nests in the little outhouse in the hay. Thanks, Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by