POST PICTURES OF YOUR WATER/FEED SETUP!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by drewskimac, Feb 14, 2015.

1. drewskimac

drewskimac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Hello all! I'd love to see pictures and/or descriptions of your food and water setups!

2. Dry Creek Ranch

Dry Creek Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Missouri USA
    I have a lot of animals to feed and a lot of old farm land to clear. All my animals are free range during the day and penned at night. My uncle gave me a Stren automatic pond fish feeder that holds 100lbs of feed. I put whole corn mixed with chicken scratch in it. It is programmed to go off at 0800, 1200, and 1600. The animals learn very quickly when the machine is set to go off and gather around it about 30 minutes before feeding time. Any stragglers hear the machine go off and start running towards it at full speed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a before picture when I first set it up a week ago. It is the green box in front of the dogs.

[​IMG]
    And this is it after a week of dispensing food.

It shoots the feed out about 30-40 feet and about 20ft wide. You will notice you could not even see the foundation blocks of an old cow shelter in the before picture. The grass that is left in the after picture is like chopped hay and no longer attached to the ground.
    I move the feeder every week to a new area that I want to clear. By having the animals clear an area I have found everything from field fence laying completely flat on the ground and covered by grass to an old bed pan(yuck). I would have torn up a brush hog or lawn mower on these hidden items.

[​IMG]
    I also use a 5 gallon deer feeder in the chicken pen that dispenses chicken scratch for my silkies. They do not like to leave the pen which is 320' in diameter. Make sure you get a deer feeder with an analog timer and not a photo cell. Photo cell timers only go off at dawn and one other time after that. Analog timers go off when you want them to.
    The one I use is this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Hunt...8&qid=1424002948&sr=8-15&keywords=Deer+Feeder

For water I use a kiddie pool for the ducks and geese, A five gallon bucket for the goats, and a five gallon bucket with 3 chicken waterer nipples on the bottom and hung in the chicken coop for the chickens. All of these have 500 watt deicers in them in the winter. The turkeys and chickens also drink out of the kiddie pool.

I like the automatic feeders because they spread the food out. No fights at the food bowl, no gorging on food, and keeps my animals active and foraging. Plus it allows me to clear overgrown land and keeps parasites to a minimum by constantly moving their feeding area.

3. wpy3

wpy3 New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]Hi everyone,
    I wanted to wait for proof my new water station would do the job and it came last night with -7 temps here in Pittsburgh.
    It has always been a challenge to keep fresh, unfrozen water available. I have several heated waters but they did hold much water so i built one that holds my 5 gal top fill and 30lb feeder. The water side is boxed underneath, insulated with some 1"foam board and has 2 30 watt bulbs inside.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  5. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Thats pretty cool man, thanks for sharing :)

6. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Nice, i hope it works well :)

7. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by