Post-predator attack, 1 of 5 Australorps now being bullied

SpaceyTracy

Chirping
May 10, 2021
Vermont
A month ago my six free-ranging chickens were attacked, I'm guessing by a fox. Five survived and are all recovering well. They're now in a smaller area enclosed by a 164-ft electrified poultry fence. In the last couple of days I noticed one was by herself a lot and then saw her being chased and attacked by another. I thought it was just one bully but then saw a different one going after the same poor girl. This am right out of the coop the victim basically made a break for it and one of the bullies jumped on her and pecked her and chased her. No blood yet but feathers broken and missing. And she just regrew them! This is going in a bad direction. I don't get it. They're all the same breed and they all grew up together. What to do???

Need more info...
How old are these birds?
Are they all the same breed?
The target bird could be ill or injured.
Does she have anywhere to 'hide' or is the range area all wide open?
Some pics of coop and range area would help here.

Need more info...
How old are these birds?
Are they all the same breed?
The target bird could be ill or injured.
Does she have anywhere to 'hide' or is the range area all wide open?
Some pics of coop and range area would help here.

Pictures below of the space, which I beefed up yesterday after reading through a bunch of posts on this forum.

Chickens are just over a year old. I'm pretty sure the outcast is healthy, at least physically. Poop looks normal, no visible injuries. I wonder if they have fully recovered from their attack a month ago and are now restless, missing the ability to range freely like they used to. Their former favorite spots are now off limits.

The outcast has mostly been too stressed to lay. This am she wouldn't come out of the coop until the others had all left the permanent run. There are two bullies and the other two are fine with her, but choose to flock with the mean girls.

I think maybe I need to put the bullies in time-out, but where and how?? And what about bedtime? I'm not sure roosting is an issue. Chickens are so confusing!

Maybe looking at my set-up folks have some ideas? I'd put the bullies in the permanent run since it's smaller and not as exciting but then the others would be banned from the coop. Lock them inside the old fenced garden and put some food and water in there? Improvise an egg laying box?

IMG_6236.jpeg

Yesterday I added the sawhorse and pallet thing in the front and brought out the garden cart (behind compost bin). Coop with hardware-cloth enclosed 8x16 run on the right.

IMG_6239.jpeg

Old garden space, half fenced (open gates both ends), for dust-bathing, shade, etc.

IMG_6237.jpg

Yesterday, based on what I read on this forum, I set up a second food and water station in this space and showed it to my outcast. (Here she is.) A non-mean girl came up and shared the water with her, then the other. I was hopeful, but today it's the same story of mean girls attacking and chasing.

I think maybe I need to put the bullies in time-out, but where and how??
That can be a toughy, they need to be safe from preds and weather.
May only need to be isolated for most the day.

And what about bedtime? I'm not sure roosting is an issue.
Might be good to watch the RoostTimeRumble, see how they all behave.

That can be a toughy, they need to be safe from preds and weather.
May only need to be isolated for most the day.

Might be good to watch the RoostTimeRumble, see how they all behave.
RoostTimeRumble!! :lol: This is going to sound weird, but do they just need to separated, or do they need to feel like the other chickens are getting a better deal so they better shape up?

I'm going with the fence within the fence option, will see how that works. Will see if I can improvise a day shelter.

I may be crazy but sometimes I think one bird will get picked on so a predator will more likely attack the weak bird and give the others a chance to get away. Since this started after the attack it may be a possibility. My two gold lace Wyandottes are the lowest in pecking order of 7. Although the smallest gets pecked by all the girls the worst offender is the next one up the other gold laced,. I usually feed the lowest girl after the others are off foraging so I can block off the smaller run to get her to gain weight and get some peace . I did have a bully who I thought I would have to separate, but another chicken fought back and won so I didn’t have to.
I have a wire dog cage I paid $10 at yard sale in case I have to separate a chick which I would have used if the bully hadn’t changed.

Back
Top Bottom