Post-Raccoon Decisions

KikiZobi

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2020
Seattle, WA, USA
Hi all,

A raccoon killed a chicken yesterday and I didn't realize had injured another in the coop until I went to care for them just before dawn. It's now light out and I have better visibility.

I'm wondering if you think this is survivable with proper care? Or is it a goodbye to end the suffering? Our chickens are our pets, but I want the best for Lucille no matter what that means.

She is missing probably a 4x2 area of skin under her wing and part of it is still attached in a hanging flap. Her organs and flesh appear to be largely unharmed. She is skittish, in pain I'd imagine, and separated from the rest of the flock currently. She is an otherwise healthy (and molting--see neck) chicken.

Thoughts? Thanks for your considerations.

Attachments

• 20221026_115314.jpg
    20221026_115314.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221026_115322.jpg
    20221026_115322.jpg
    700.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221026_120356.jpg
    20221026_120356.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 1
Not an expert! Just wanted to say I'm so sorry. For what it's worth, I've seen good advice given here on treating what looks like worse injuries. I'm guessing isolation, a saline rinse, and antibiotic ointment or some of that vet spray would be the general place to start but you'll get better advice from others soon! Maybe also some drink if you can get her to take some to help prevent shock... Hopefully she'll drink on her own without any fuss.

Excuse the double-post, but I just realized I missed what sub-forum this is on (pests). I do think this is survivable with proper treatment (obligatory not an expert disclaimer, but chickens are pretty tough) but you'll get the best input on that if you post in the emergencies subforum with wound advice as part of the title. Just so the right people find this and respond to you sooner!

All the best wishes for your girl's speedy recovery!

Oh thanks! I started there but thought it fit better under predators! Thanks for your thoughts!
Excuse the double-post, but I just realized I missed what sub-forum this is on (pests). I do think this is survivable with proper treatment (obligatory not an expert disclaimer, but chickens are pretty tough) but you'll get the best input on that if you post in the emergencies subforum with wound advice as part of the title. Just so the right people find this and respond to you sooner!

All the best wishes for your girl's speedy recovery!

That should heal fine if you can keep it clean and keep flies off of it. You will probably have to cut the skin flap off though.

Back
Top Bottom