*****post stories of you roosters*****

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LCwilson, Jan 3, 2010.

1. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    post some stories of your roosters.
    it can be anything about them.
    attacking someone/thing.
    screaming so the girls get to safety because of a hawk.
    anything.

and if you have a picture of the rooster your talking about post it.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Well....by most accounts, my rooster is a bad rooster [​IMG] He has always been pretty friendly. Runs to me as soon as I head out to the backyard. As he's gotten older, he doesn't like being picked up so much (used to appear to like being picked up and carried around) but he has never attacked me or anyone else, eats nicely out of my hand and is generally easy to get along with. Sounds good right? Sure, but as head of his flock, he's not so great. Not only have I never seen him find treats for his girls, but he considers it important that he get the best treats for himself. When I put out a bowl of mash, he races to get there first and none of the girls is allowed to eat from it until he's over that initial "rush" for the best bits. We haven't had any hawks around since he became head rooster, so I don't know how well he'll do at protection. Still, he is pretty quiet (crows in the coop from about 6:30am-8am but not the rest of the day or night) and as long as he isn't attacking people, I'll keep him around for awhile. He is a crossbreed but I think he's quite beautiful and regal so he's easy on the eyes.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    We have a young full of crap rooster we call RooRoo. He's a bit of a jerk...to everybody. He's always charging trying to assert his dominance. My daughter, who is 12, runs constantly. She was headed out to feed and check water for me. RooRoo saw her coming from inside the run, and decided he'd show her who was boss. We have a 5 gallon bucket of water that they drink from outside that sits inside the run fence. So, DD takes off running toward the coop, RooRoo takes off running after her down the inside of the run staring up at her the whole time...she passes the bucket, RooRoo was so busy watching her, he fell head first in the bucket feet in the air, gurgling sounds coming from the bucket, mad flopping slinging water all over. DD goes back, grabs his flailing legs, snatches him up, dies laughing and looks that stupid bird square in the eye and says "Who's boss now, dummy!" I almost peed myself laughing at those two!! Here's a pic of our bucket diver.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    great stories.

HEchicken- that stinks he doesnt be nice to the girls. my roos are the total oppsite of him. they are always last.

Cindiloohoo- hes beautiful. too bad hes mean. funny story BTW! laughed reading it.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Here's my daughter holding Rupert ... (and Tyson, the dog) ...
    [​IMG]

Here's the story I wrote about Rupert in September, 2009 ...

I bought 44 hatchery chicks in May. They are now 18 weeks old. When they were about a month old, I was given a trio of 1 yr old cuckoo marans.

Anyway, 1 year old Rupert was given to me, along with his 2 ladies, Lavern and Shirley. After quarantine of 5 weeks they shared the fence line with the main flock for another 5 weeks. Now, for 2 weeks they have all (silkies also) been free ranging together. Though the silkies stay to themselves, they are quick to send the others a runnin' !

Rupert, Laverne, and Shirley all keep to themselves, and stay out of the others' way. I have been wanting to get them in with the main (hatchery) flock, but waiting for the others to grow. Now, since they are near laying, I figured it was time. Four nights ago we put them in the coop with the others. They have been in and out of the run and big coop off and on, while out free ranging. But, they were surely not happy.

Rupert, Laverne, and Shirley ....
    [​IMG]

The girls both lay an egg every day. But now, in a new coop, what to do?? Oh no, poor Laverne. Pacing the fence line, looking at her old coop, looking up at how high the fence was, and even getting up on the branch roost near the fence (contemplating jumping the fence) for 2 hours, singing the egg song. Honestly, this is unbelievable ... but this is what Rupert did. He went into the hen house (where Shirley had already layed her egg), and got into a nest, and he kept calling her with his sweet song. Over and over and over again. She would go in and come out, go in and come out. So many times, I thought Rupert would give up. During this time, many of the main flock sat inside the coop and watched Rupert, as if they were at a movie. (Only thing missing was the popcorn!). I ran inside to tell the family what was going on. DH (Mike) and I sat out in our yard and witnessed this event. Ever so lovely, Rupert singing to his girl. Finally, she went in and layed her egg in the nest. Then, and only then, Rupert came out.... with her.

This went on again on day 2 and day 3. Today was day 4. It was just a bit different, in that before he got in the nest, he chased the main flock out of the coop. I think he was tired of the audience! LOL. Laverne was much quicker today, less than an hour of pacing and crying the egg song, "I gotta lay, I gotta lay, I gotta lay this egg, oh my!"

This rooster is so lovely. I have watched him for hours. When he mates, I swear he asks first. AND, he does accept, "no," for an answer at times! LOL .... He courts his girls, takes them to dinner, and is always sweet talking to them. Sometimes they squat, sometimes they don't ! Of course Mr. Manners would never do this in front of me (or anyone). This is only done in private, away from others! Around the corner of the run, or when out free ranging in the timber, etc. And ALWAYS very gentle. Those girls don't so much as have a feather out of place, much less a feather missing! I sure wish our Rhode Island Red Rooster, Rocky, could have learned some manners from ol' Rupert.

Honestly, this is a true story. Rupert is so wonderful. The 3 Marans stay together, and don't bother anyone. If someone is invading their space, Rupert will gently guide them away. I mean very gently. He does not peck at the others, just shows them the way out. One time Rocky and Obama were about to really get into it. (First time I had seen this happen also.) Rupert, the lovely man that he is, simply went across the run and walked in between them, and they went their separate ways. WOW, I was shocked. Obviously, Rupert does not like chaos!

UPDATE: Day 5: Lavern layed an egg ... ALL BY HERSELF !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    Here is my story of Stewart, formally know as Stew.
    It was my first chicken, well one of ten first chickens. It was a batch of mixed day-old chicks, standard and bantam. He was a bantam. He was the jerk of the bunch. At one week he was jumping on the other chicks trying to drown them. He crowed by 6 weeks and was always jumping on my hands at feeding time. I hated him, I thought he had a personal issue with my hands. So throughout the next few months I daily went through band-aids fixing cuts on my hands from this evil jumping bean.
    Then one day I realized something, Stew likes me. He is mearly claiming me as his Hen, and not letting others get near me. To this day if I pick up a chicken near Stewart, and it makes even a peep, he attacks the other chicken in my hands. So I was going to get rid of him, but, he was too small to eat. His tallons may be over an inch long, but he is less than a lb in weight. So as I was thinking of how to get rid of him, i.e. dog food, my one other rooster, a 7 1/2 lb big white cross-thing, began attacking my son who "accidently" tried to put him in the kiddy pool. Well across the front window you saw my then 3 year old run, then this angry white bird, then Stewart, who flew onto this huge rooster and made a mess out of the big guy. So we ate the big guy and kept Stew, Stewart now.
    Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Awwww, I love Stewart! he is gorgeous. I love the story, too! [​IMG]

8. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    rupert sounds like the ultimate roo.
    very smart.

great story about stewart.

keep em comming.

9. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Stewart and Rupert both sound like the kind of roo I'd love to have. Come spring, a roo is also on the list of additions to the flock. Now, if I can just get the DH to stop hiding the "Free Rooster" adds in the weekly paper from me....... [​IMG]

10. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    I have several roosters, but billy(gold laced wyndotte) is the most laid back of them all, Bob(welsummer) is king. Billy is the funnest thing to watch he sits back and over looks the entire flock(he is kinda a loner) while he is watching he pay very close attention to my gold laced wyndotte hen, she is his one and only girl, if any other rooster gets any where near her she screams and hear comes billy, if one has actually grabbed her by the back of the neck he jumps on their back and knocks them off, then he backs up moving his girl further away from the offender the whole time never taking his eyes off of the other rooster, what gets me is he even does this to Bob and they do not even fight bob actually runs away i laugh ever time i see this, let any other rooster mess with bob and their will be some serious chasing, althought they never fight. what gets me even more both gold laced watch each others back it like they have a special bond cause they are the same breed and color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by