Post surgery bumblefoot concerns

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pitnerchickenfarm, Apr 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pitnerchickenfarm

Pitnerchickenfarm Hatching

Apr 17, 2019
    We recently found a case of bumblefoot on one of our chickens. It was a very large scab, and we went ahead and surgically removed it. I worked with my neighbor who has experience in surgical trauma, so she was at least familiar with the idea of good tissue versus infection. Immediately after surgery, the chicken seemed to be doing just fine, this wasn’t surprising though because she was not acting lethargic, limping, or acting sick in any other way prior to surgery either. Yesterday I had an equine vet look at it, who said it was as looking good from her knowledge. (You work with what you have, right?). I let her go ahead and free range after we re-wrapped it Because she seemed antsy to be out of the box. I re-cleaned it last night and re-dressed it before putting her to bed in the box again last night. However, this morning for the first time she seemed lethargic. Not eating or drinking much at all, not moving or really interested in free ranging. When I opened up the bandage, in my opinion it doesn’t look as good as it did yesterday. I’m wondering if we didn’t get all the infection out, but this is our first time dealing with bumble foot so I’m not Entirely sure. I will post pictures, but I would love anyone else’s opinion who has dealt with bumble foot before, especially removing larger sores and dealing with issues in the postop. Wondering if I should give her a dose of penicillin, re-cut into the foot and remove more tissue that looks white, or what your advice would be. Thank you so much!

penny1960 likes this.
  2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    The photos will help most of all ... Do want to say welcome to Backyard Chickens
    may be the time for antibiotics now yes

3. Pitnerchickenfarm

Pitnerchickenfarm Hatching

Apr 17, 2019
    I tried to add these before - here are the pictures

Attached Files:

Harley Chick likes this.
  4. ChickenPalace123

ChickenPalace123 Songster

Feb 1, 2018
    what did you wash it out with. hydrogen-peroxide would be best then after that put triple antibiotic cream on it.

5. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Please just the triple antibiotic ...... hydrogen peroxide kills all good and bad so then use then as the vet for a good antibiotic broad spectrum

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: